Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't send from OE 6-- HELP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatahoulaHound

Technical User
Feb 26, 2001
US
Greetings All,
For some reason, unknown to me, I can not send mail from Outlook Express 6. I've checked my server settings and tried sending from a couple of different accounts to no avail.

When I try to send a composed email, it just sits in the "OUTBOX" till a popup gives me this msg.
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'test', Account: 'EROLS', Server: 'smtp.erols.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

It only happens on one computer of my 3 computers. The other 2 send and recieve fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Pat

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm running ver.6 on Win 2000. Small network (5 boxes on Linksys router)

Thanks
Pat

The link that mufka gave applies to OE 6. In general, this is a timeout error. As mentioned in the KB article, there are many possible causes. The most common reasons, tend to be antivirus or firewall software. What are you using for av & firewall?

Steve

Thanks for the replies. I've gone through most of the items listed on the site with no luck.
Smash:
I agree that it's obviously something particular to this box only. I am running Norton AV (not their firewall) I also run SpamSubstract from InterMute. The only firewall that I have is the one built into the Linksys router. There is no special settings for any computer, just the basic setup.

I've tried to send through 2 different ISP's, no luck. Is there a way to uninstall/re-install outlook express?

Pat

First, I'd try turning off the e-mail checking component of Norton's AV.

Steve

OK--I've got it working and for the benifit of others looking here is what I did. I moved all of the files form the "SENT" folder and halve of the files from the INBOX folder out of OE. Then it started working. I assume that there was a corrupted file somewhere in there. Perhaps someone can tell me if this would cause my problem?

Thanks
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back