Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't send email to self

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebBreinholt

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
US
We had a power outage that sent the servers down. Since that time we are not receiving email in our Outlook. We can send mail off site, but replys never come back. I look at the firewall log and see that SMTP packets are coming in to the server. We can Telnet to port 25 from off site.
We cannot send mail to ourselves. We are not receiving anything - even SPAM is not coming through. Any ideas?

What mail server are you using? Check to see if the server is running. Let us know.

The answer is "42"

If the server is running, check the services on it to make sure that all relevant Exchange services are running although if you can send mail out then it sounds like the are as I don't think that the Internet Mail Service will start if the other Exchange services aren't running. It's been awhile since I've used Exchange 5.5.

Are there any events in the Exchange server's application or system event logs?

The other thing that you could try is shutting down the Exchange server gracefully - stop the exchange services first then shut down the server, wait two minutes, and restart. I used to have success with that if all else failed.

If, while stopping the Exchange services any of them hang report which ones back here.

Also, I know its a little late but get a smart UPS for the server that the exchange server is on. One that can shut down the Exchange services and then shut down the server gracefully if the power goes out.

Cheers.

BTW, I'm assuming a 5.5 Exchange server because I see that you've posted in the forum previously.

Cheers.

You appear to have had an identical problem in December 2005 although apparently not from a power failure. You replied then that "We found the problem to be a DNS problem with the E-mail filtering service." Have you checked to see if its the same problem this time?

Cheers.

Found the problem. We had been playing with the POP3 access to exchange which didn't seem to want to run and in the process installed the POP3 mail server. So both Exchange and POP3 servers were running. This was for an Exchange 2003 server. Once we removed the POP3 server mail started being delivered again. We lost the mail that had been received by the POP server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back