Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't select 640X480

Status
Not open for further replies.

violaboy

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
US
Anyone know why the option to select 640X480 at 256 isn't available. I can do 16 and 24 bit at higher resolutions. How can I fix this?? Thanks in advance.

Snowman

I would first blame your video driver; contact the manufacturer. Good luck!

Type "Switch your display to 256 colors" in the Help and Support program Search Box. Then follow the links for 640 x 480 display. See if this is able to help you.

You can not use a 640x480 resolution on windows XP or 2000 MS baned this practice. Just upgrade to a vetter monitor and/or video card. If your system can run XP then the video card is probably ok

If the monitor can go higher that 640x408 then itis the grafics card

Good luck
LT

just wonderin... y would u want to run in 640 x 800 at 256 colors? it looks bad and everything is huge.

Usual reasons are to use an old monitor or generate TV-out displays. Many newer TV-out cards handle this automatically.

Another reason is so people with "low vision" problems can read the text (640x480) without a 24" monitor.

To: Violaboy

I got WindowsXp Pro to run in 640X480, by accident. Just delete whatever your video is within the device manager. I had to do it several times, or it simply re-installed my previous drivers, but occasionally it would come up in std VGA mode, at 640X480.

Incidentally, for anyone interested. I went into the display settings, under General and changed the DPI to custom. It worked fine, but with the larger DPI setting, I could Not get back to being able to change the settings and apply them. Couldn't get to the apply button. I had to use system restore (which says it keeps your documents, etc. Note that if you've downlaoded a file - you loose it).

Larry Morse

You can switch your screen resolution temporarily to 640 X 480 x 256 Color if you have games or other programs that are set to run at that resolution.

To switch, right-click the game or program (on the desktop or on the Start menu), and then click Properties. Click the Compatibility tab, and then select the Select the Run in 256 colors check box and the Run in 640x480 screen resolution check box.

Your display reverts to its default resolution and colors when you close the program.
----
"eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." - annon

Taken from another web site.

Unlock the Lowest Screen Resolutions and Color Quality
Written By: BrahmaBull3dfx (Liem) | Authors Website: Visit | Views: 7332 | Print Tweak | 12/28/2001

For some who have the desire to have screen resolution lower than Windows XP's default 800 x 600 or color quality lower than 16bit. This is how you do it...

1. Right-click the desktop

2. Highlight and click on "Properties"

3. Click on the "Settings" tab

4. Click the "Advanced" button

5. Click the "Adapter" tab

6. Click the "List All Modes..." button

7. Choose the valid mode you desire.

8. Click the "OK" button

9. Click the "OK" button again

10. Click the "OK" button one more time

There, that should do it. Enjoy!

Thanks Linney...that's perfect. I actually found that a few days ago, but thanks for your input and everyone elses' help. The program we run for our customers only runs at 256 colors at 640X480. Thanks again

Mark

violaboy:

Just wondering?

Why not run the single program in compatability mode at the desired resolution/colors and then when using the system for other things get switched back to something more attractive?

If I was unclear in my post: Once you set the compatability mode setting for the program it runs the mode selected whenever it is started. It is not temporary in the sense of having to set it each time you run, the mode sticks. You can set compatibility mode for any program as long as it isn't part of the XP OS.

----
"eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." - annon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back