Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't seem to shake the CodeRed worm

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatsHulten

Programmer
Dec 29, 2000
SE
Hi

Got a CodeRed infected NT4 server.
I have applied the patch availeble from MS and restarted the system.

Problem is that IIS only displays a page containing nothing but <HTML></HTML>

I've checked IIS for what pages it should display and everything looks just fine there, and the files look unaffected too.

Pleaze Help!
-Mats

In all honesty - if you have an infected/compromised server, no matter what it is infected/compromised with - your first course of action should be to remove it from the network and rebuilt it from a known, good backup. Who knows what else might have gotten in through the same hole...

Having said that.... The Code Red worm also defaced your web site, which had a message &quot;Welcome to Hacked by Chinese&quot;. That page only remains active for 10 hours and then disappears. I am not sure what it gets replaced with, but either that or the fix from MS probably replaced your default web page with what you have.

Do you have a copy of the original web page -- I'm a little confused about you having checked IIS for what pages it should be displaying... Are you saying IIS is still pointing to index.html or default.htm -- or have you actually checked the page that it points to in a text editor to see what the page is actually supposed to display.

Let us know some more details about exactly what you checked and the results.

Look at
for full details about the worm.
Hope this helps,
Paul

Thanks for the link, but I managed to solve the problem by myself.

As far as I could determine Code red doesnt write any file at all. But instead holds the code in RAM.

IIS pointed to defalt.asp the whole time, just as it should.

Thanks for the assistanse and the advise.

-Mats

MATSHulten, how did you solve the problem? I have the same situation with code red virus
-brewkim

One fix is to boot your system.

Plus their are two (possible 3) Code Reds out there.. Symantec has the 3 fixes for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back