Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't seem to repartion, format or re-write the MBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

caprince

Technical User
Dec 29, 2007
US
I have a Western Digital 1600 BB HDD that was removed from my Moviebeam box after Moviebeam closed shop. I bought the Moviebeam box knowing that if nothing else I had a 160 gig HDD for $50.00. Yesterday I spent the better part of the day tring to format, unlock, re-partition, etc. I can't seem to do any thing with this drive. I ran the Western Digital utilites on it and it passes, no errors. I have tried all sorts of partition utilitys, MBR fixes, etc. Nothing. The drive does not appear locked. I was going to buy HDD Unlock, but their utility does not show the drive locked. It seems I cannot write to it. Some programs say I do not have permision to write to it. I have recovered the MBR, but cannot write it back. I know that it is just a 160 gig hdd,that I can buy for $29.00, but I like a good challange.

That HD may appear to be unlocked, but it is.
Plus, I fail to see the logic in paying $50 for a used device when a new one costs only $29.

No, I bought Moviebeam and have been using it for about 2 years! When I bought it 2 years ago I figured it was good for the HDD at least. I am not that crazy. Can you recomend an unlocking utility?

caprince said:
I know that it is just a 160 gig hdd,that I can buy for $29.00, but I like a good challenge

Good for you. Have you tried DBAN on the drive?

WARNING: Disconnect your good boot drive before booting to the DBAN CD!!!

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back