Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant see workgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolakubes

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
GB
hiya all .

I have a setup at home with broadband. downstairs with Win2000 and upstairs in my room 2 machines 1 running on Win2000 and the other ME/XP.

Just installed driver and software for a Origo 22Mps Wireless PCI card on my Win XP partition , gets internet connection no probs , but cant see other computers or access them on the network, even thought others machines on network can see mines they cant access it , tried Pinging the other machine and get timed out, pings host no prob.

So i tried pinging the WinXP machine from the other machine and pings ok , it can see it ,but when i tried to access teh WinXP machine it just says network path not found.

HELP!!

Windows networking requires NETBIOS to be enabled. That could be your problem here.

You just installed a Wireless NIC? That also means that you must have a wirelss access point or router. Check these to areas. Make sure that "NETBOIS over TCP" is enabled on your NIC, and that your router will forward NETBIOS broadcasts.

i have checked and it is on NETBIOS over TCP enabled, all my other machines have access to each other apart from this 1 with the wireless NIC , i kinda baffled !!

btw , thx

okie , i ve search high and low rightthru the week and still no joy in sharing the 2 pc's together, the most is the see each other, both have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled , but everytime try to access i get the "Network path not found" message.

i have gone into my wireless Router and noticed that there is an option for "DHCP client" , but it wont let me set it , everytime i flash the BIOS on it, it will smply come back unchecked, however , all the other machines are connecting, its just this crummy PCI wireless card that wont let me connect, any more help will be grateful.

thx

have you checked for firewalls on that machine?
if you've installed the IPv6 update or the blaster worm update on that machine there is a good chance you have the windows firewall enabled, or barring that a pcillin or some other firewall.
make sure as well that the drives are mapped... this is all pretty basic stuff...
because the machine can acces the internet as well as the others through the router, we know it's alive, there is just something preventing you from reaching the xp's shares.
file and printer sharing and all that must be checked as well.

the only right answer to "why?" is: "why not?"

I have made double sure the firewall is turned off , also disabling my Zonealarm too didnt help either.

I cant mapp any drives at all since i cant get into the other machine in the 1st place.

i managed to connect to the other machines with the Wired LAN NIC apart from the 1 with the Wireless NIC. it all seems to point to this card but im not sure, but i ve tried everything and it still havent worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back