Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant see Win 98 Client on NT network

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomslacks

Technical User
Mar 30, 2002
US
Have this really annoying problem. I have a win98 client on a single WinNT server. Using Dhcp, the Win98 client is able to logon to the network, use the network folders, I can ping the Win98 client BUT I cant see the Win98 client from other computers or the server. There is an account on the server for the Win98 Client. I cant browse to the computer from Network places and I can get there through \\computername. What am I missing?? The event log has a entry for the user and for the computer logging on but no other computers can browse for the Win98 Client.

Are there any shared resources (drives/folders/printers) on the win98 machine - don't think it will be visible on network without.

Is 'Client for MS Networks' installed on the Win98?
If not ... need I say it? The solution is out there. [morning]

After posting the question, I have decided to implement all XP pro, I am not a big fan of XP but I found that from between the time I setup the computer for the new user to when I posted this question (1 week) the user had uninstalled file and print sharing. He claimed he never uninstalled anything (he could be right but I doubt it). So i am going to lock out everybody and become the Nazi administrator.

The user is your enemy. T

Thanks to all that replied to the post.

Good choice, go for XP, at least you can control those nice users !!?$%$@!## The solution is out there. [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back