Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't See Some Network Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasmith05

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2002
US
Hi,

This particular problem has bugged me for a while now. I basically have a basic file server (windows xp pro) on which I have a large number of hard drives. 8 internal and maybe 5 external usb drives. I basically just share a folder off of each drive for file sharing purposes. Lately, on the newer drives, i've noticed that I can't see some files over the network. I open up a folder and I can't see anything. I know the files are there. I can see/open them just fine on the host machine. Sometimes if this happens I can try moving the files to different drives and they show up. But sometimes I move the files and they do not show up on new drive either. Is there a file sharing limit or something? Lets say I have 13 80gb drives so its a lot of files. Why are some files just not showing up?

I am going to throw some software patches at you, but to be perfectly honest you need a network consultant to review what you have done, and what you should do.

1. If using USB devices, be carefull about the power requiremets:

2. Do the cycle for all devices:

3. Update the USB drivers. See:
(If you use the email support option, you should have the Hotfix for free within a few hours)

4. There is not a file limit to prevent things showing up. I suspect the "server" is just too busy at times. You might consider setting in System properties, Advanced tab, Performance -- Settings, Advanced tab again, setting the background priority and memory usage to "Background Services" and "System Cache."

5. You do not discuss the RAM on this box as server. 2 gigabytes minimum with these hard drives.

6. There are some things to try:

Thanks, but this is not a problem with the drive not showing up in windows. All usb drives have their own AC power, and like I said, I do not have a problem viewing files on the host computer.

bcastner: Like I said, it is not a problem with not seeing the usb drive. This happens with BOTH the internal ide drives and the external ones.

I am running windows xp pro on this particular file server NOT windows 2003 server.

Are you using simple file sharing?
Have you checked the permissions on both the folders & files? (Just check say 1 folder and a few files in the folder of one that's playing up) Look for differences in folders that work and folders that don't.

Have you tried refreshing after opening a folder that should have files in it?

Have you tried unsharing & then re-sharing a folder that's showing your symptoms?

Daft as it sounds, have you got an adequate power supply?

STDUC:

Yes. Simple File Sharing

Permissions are full control for everybody.

Yes I have tried refreshing the folder.

Resharing doesn' change anything.

The external drives all have their on ac power supplies. I believe I have a 400w p/s. But even if that were the case, woudln't I experience problems reading the files on the host machine?

OK - so I'm clutching at straws here! lol

Can I take it that it's always the same files that aren't shared? Or is the problem random(ish) with respect to which folders share/don't share?

Can you post some details of your network?

Are you running a firewall?

What happens if you unshare everything then share one folder, then another? Does it suddenly show the problem after a certain number of shares?

Yeah, this problem has bothered me for sometime...

Its usually only certain folders that I can't see the contents. But these folders could've worked fine for a while and then one day you can't see the contents?!?!

My network is pretty basic. 10/100 network with host windows xp pro acting as host. Two client machines accessing the files.

I have not tried sharing individual folders, but I can try that next. I mean I basically want one folder that people can open up and see whats inside.

Are you recording any strange errors or warnings in the Event Viewer that might give a clue?

Something for consideration.

Error Message when file transfer over Network
thread779-1056631

Are you using a switch or a hub in your network?

Update: I tried sharing the folders that files were missing in, and then I was able to see the files over the network.

Which makes me wonder if there is a limit to how many files/directories can be shared under a sharepoint.

I also noticed that for some of the folders, if I changed the folder name I was able to view the files. This didn't always work but sometimes.

I am using a d-link router and a couple of switches.

Check this:
Rules for sharenames (and computer names)
. No spaces in the name
. Maximum of 12 characters in length for Win9x compatability, 15 characters for post-Win9x workstations
. Comment field for computer name or share <= 48 characters
. Do not use: /\[]":;|<>+=,?* _

Yeah the sharename doesn't seem to be a problem. Its basically just download.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back