Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see second HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

roban

Technical User
Aug 2, 2001
US
I have a second HD on my system. It's 120GB. I recently re-formatted the boot drive and re-installed XP Pro. I was able to see the second drive before but cannot now. It is listed in bios and device manager but I cannot access it. It is a FAT format and hasn't been touched . It is setup as a slave. My 'C' drive is listed as Drive '0' and the other as Drive'1'. If there was a voltage problem with the drive would it still be listed as installed hardware? I have uninstalled the driver and re-installed. Later I will disconnect and boot then re-connect and boot to see if that works but maybe I am missing something simple. thanks for reading this.

if it weren't for flashbacks I'd have no memory at all

Does it appear in disk management?

Did you have to use overlay software to get your bios to recognise it in the first place?

Thanks for the reply. I did not have to use overlay software to see the drive in bios. When I first installed the drive it was recognized immediately. If I recall correctly I did not see the drive in Disk Management in fact which prompted me to turn on a few services. This drive has about 110GB of data so format is not an option at this point.

I do believe I have found the problem. There is a GoBack partition on the drive. I will use Partition Magic to delete the partition. I will post how it goes.

You may just need to assign a drive letter.

Right-click your my computer icon, and select "Manage". In the left pane of the window that appears, select the Disk Management option.

You should then see a layout of your physical drives and partitions. Right click your big partition (ie. not the GoBack partition) partition on the 2nd drive and you can assign a drive letter to it.

Thanks for the reply Bytemaster34. The problem was that GoBack took the entire drive as a type 44 partition so Windows could not possibly see it. I was able to convert it with Partition Magic. Unfortunately I also had to delete the existing partition and the entire 110GB of data and most of it was backed up on CD's. I was then able to retrieve a great deal of missing data, about 80%, using Get Data Back. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back