Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see right-hand-side of message boxes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRWA

Technical User
Mar 8, 2005
US
I'm trying to reset my account settings in Outlook. The message boxes that come up when I go through the new accounts process cut off the right-hand side of the contents. I can't make any entries there. There's no apparent way of resizing the boxes. Changing the text size in Display Properties doesn't help, neither does changing screen resolution.

I've had similar problems in a couple of other MS progs so I assume it's OS-related

Has anyone bumped into this problem before? Did you solve it?

Any help gratefully received!

PRWA

The only time I've seen this is when all the following have been true:

Enlarged fonts -> display properties/appearance
Screen Resolution -> 1024x768 (on Flat screen)
-> 800x600 (on 17" CRT)
DPI @ 120 (or more) -> display/settings/advanced
Sreen refresh -> 75+ (Flat screen)
-> anything other than 75 or 85 hz (17" CRT)

To resolve I:
Set font size to "normal"
Set DPI to 96 (the DPI was less of a culprit)
Set Refresh Rate to 75 (on 17" CRT), 85 (on 19" CRT) or 60 (on flat screen)
- if you cannot modify your refresh rate (and it is Hardware Default) then update your graphics drivers.

Sometimes, albeit rare, it has also been to do with the colour quality setting
Display/Settings

You'll need to play around a bit, but the settings above are somewhat "standard". Once you get your desired screen settings, you can modify again to suit. (just make a note of what they are at "standard")

Depending on type of monitor you may have the ability to adjust your screen res/refresh rate directly on the monitor. Check those settings as well.
If you have a "third party" type monitor changing software, those should integrate fairly well, so you could do all your checks there. (AGP and NVidia do the "software set" for graphics)

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back