Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't See Red Hat 4 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReiley

MIS
Dec 10, 2004
US
I'm new to Linux. I have a server with RedHat 4 installed. I have samba configured correctly I think. There are 2 directories off the root that are shared and neeeded by all users. I can ping my xp workstation from redhat and ping redhat from my workstation. However I can't "see" the directorys on redhat. I'm also running a Novell 6.5 server on the same lan. Any help getting to this linux box would be helpfull.

Have you added the users to samba using smbpasswd?

I have one user defined. I think the problem may be elsewhere. I can't "See" the linux server in workgroups.

Thanks.

In samba.conf, do you have a wins server declared? if not, do you have wins support=yes?

Thanks for the replies. One of the problems I had was not seeing the linux server in the windows workgroup. I now see all my machines in the workgroup, so I think I've made progress.

When I open workgroup and dblclick on the linux server I get

\\JimsLinux is not accessible. You do not have permission to use this network resources, ya da ya da ya da.
The network parth was not found.

Where do I go?

Make sure that under the global section of the smb.conf file you have interfaces and the interface that is the local LAN interface. 2nd make sure you have the workgroup set to the same as all the other PC's.

The first part is getting it to show up in Network Places. Once you can see it there you can play around with the access issues.

You might try installing SWAT and playing around from the GUI if your not good at text configuration.

Dave

In Network Places on the RedHat machine, I see Windows Network. When I dbl click on that icon, I see nothing. I'm assuming I should see all the computers on the network that are in the "workgroup" group. I didn't see anything under interfaces in the smb.conf file.

Here is my config. Granted I have alot of extra stuff you will not use. I do have a wins server but also keep in mind it isn't nessacary. Half the time I have the wins server turned off.

I have two network interfaces in this box. the interfaces = eth0 is the interface of my LAN. Make sure you interface is the interface that is connected to your switch which in turn is connected to all the other PC's on your network. I'm using encrpyted passwords. Not something you have to use. The password server is my domain controller which again isn't turned on half the time.

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = HOMENETWORK
server string = Linux Box (Redhat)
interfaces = eth0
security = SERVER
encrypt passwords = Yes
password server = hidden-nt
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 150
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
preferred master = No
domain master = No
dns proxy = No
wins server = 192.168.100.10
remote announce = 192.168.1.255
hosts allow = 192.168.100.

[public]
comment = Unix Share
path = /home/public
read only = No
create mask = 0775

[sandistore]
comment = sandistore.com
path = /var/ read only = No
create mask = 0775

[hyi-living]
comment = HYI-LIVING.COM
path = /var/ read only = No
create mask = 0775

[updates]
comment = RPM Updates
path = /local/updates
read only = No
create mask = 0775

[Ebay]
comment = Ebay Pictures
path = /var/ valid users = hidden
read only = No
create mask = 0775
guest ok = Yes

[TFTP]
path = /tftpboot

[Backup]
comment = Backup Of Linux Stuff
path = /local/backup
valid users = hidden
read only = No
create mask = 0775

I used part of your configuration and now I see the Samba server in my windows work group, at least from the windows machines. Havn't tried it from the linux box yet. However when I dbl click on the icon for the samba server I get :

\\JimsLinux is ot accessible. etc etc etc
The network path was not found.

Progress. I appreciate your help.

have your created SMB user accounts?

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

JimReiley,

Under global what do you have for security = ?

Thanks

I re-installed everything. I now can see all machines in the group on a windows box or the Linux box. So far so good. I don't know what to do for security. My Linux guy at this office set up a new redhat box with security = SHARE. Is this the way to go?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back