Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see other computers on network using W2k pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

cplus2

Programmer
Feb 20, 2003
CA
I have two computers linked to a Dlink DI-704P router. The Main computer has a dual boot setup consisting of WinXP home plus Win2000 pro. The Old computer has WinNT4.
When I boot up with WinXp I can see my shared folders on the WinNT machine. When I boot up with Win2000, I cannot see the Old computer.
I am able to ping with IP address and computer name. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

question
what file system are u running in 2000?
and if you really want to see your computer go to Start | Run | type "\\computername" and you should be able to see it from there

I am using Fat as the file system. I tried your suggestion using \\computername and still get the network path was not found

Just some basic thoughts. Is the nic on the 2000 system recieving an ip address from the router (same scope)as others? Same workgroup name? File & print sharing enabled on Adapter properties?

Can you see the 2000 box from the NT box, check subnet mask and IP range are all the same.
Add the NT machine name and Ip address to LMhost on 2000, see if that helps.
Can you see the c drive on NT by using, \\compname\c$ from the run command, check the services are running for the rpc
Keith

I have done all the usual steps :-
1) Workgroup is the same.
2) Same name and password on each computer.
3) Put IP address and computer name in LMHosts & Hosts files.
4)TCP/IP settings are:-
a)Obtain IP address automatically
b)Obtain DNS server address automatically
c)DHCP enabled
d)From the WINS tab, Use Netbios settings from DHCP server.

Essentially this is the same configuration settings when I bootup using XP ( I can see the other computer), so there must be something else that is preventing me from seeing the other computer with win2K.

correct me if im wrong (im just breaking into computers, learning A+) but windows nt 4.0 uses the nt file system, so if you are using a fat partition on the win 2k machine the nt 4.0 machine would not be able to see it, right? so if it cant see it, would it respond to a request from a fat partition? (just some thoughts, please correct me if im wrog so that i can learn from my misunderstandings).

Hi there. It don't matter what file system the win2k box is using. The FAT file system issue with NT etc is only when the OS is on the same computer as the other dual boot O/S's. So if your win98 dual boot with nt (for example!) then the Win98 won't read your NTFS volume.

Getting access to files over network is a different ballgame and FS won't matter.

Check that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled for your Win2K box (TCP/IP -> Properties -> WINS tab ->Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP). It's probably wrong but worth a shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back