Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't See NT 4.0 Server in Network Neighborhood 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pohlsch

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2002
US
I cannot see one of my NT 4.0 Servers in Network Neighborhood. I can ping by IP and computer name. I can also do find for computer and it comes right up. This server has two IP address configured on the NIC. Any help would be appreciated

Hi,

check this entry "Server hidden" on your entry by typing this command

net config |server

Y:\>net config server |more
Server Name \\INPUND6010013
Server Comment

Software version Windows NT 4.0
Server is active on NetBT_El90x1 (0001030f3917) NetBT_El90x1 (
0001030f3917)

Server hidden Yes
Maximum Logged On Users 10
Maximum open files per session 2048

Idle session time (min) 15
The command completed successfully.

If "yes" is there your server is hidden on the network.

type this command to unhide the server.

net config server /hidden | no

HTH Aslam

i typed in the net config |server and it came up with Server Hidden =No. Thanks for the suggestion though

Hi,

From your workstations, make sure that the network settings have NetBios over TCP/IP enabled.

John

Hi,

Enabled Netbios over TCP/IP on my Win2000 Pro workstation and let it sit for about 30 minutes and still did not see the server. Thanks for the thought

Okay... Do you have WINS running or do you have WINS enabled?

Also - check your DNS settings and your sub-net mask settings if you are using static IPs.

Good luck,

John

What do you see in Network Neighbourhood ON that 'missing' server?? Can you browse the rest of the domain? Sounds like a problem with WINS... Do you have a static entry for this server in WINS? I have fixed a problem like this before by removing ALL entries for the missing server from the WINS database, and then reboot the missing server...

WINS is running and enabled. checked the WINS database and there is no static mappings for the server, but I did see three entries for the server name in the database. it had servername(00h), servername (03h), and servername (20h).

so you are saying go into WINS database and delete the mappings for the missing server. then reboot the missing server correct?

It is normal to have more than 1 entry pohlsch so no worries there. We very recently have been having troubles with WINS and a few machines and rebooting did resolve the issue.

What I've experienced is entries for servers in NT4 WINS with a ~ before them, that as far as I can see shouldn't be there. These servers have not been able to log in to the domain, and on Win2k servers, they report that they cannot log in because a duplicate name exists on the network!! This doesn't seem to occur on Win2k WINS tho, just NT4 WINS. I have fixed this by rebooting the server that can't see the domain, and deleting all WINS entries for that servers IP address, while it is down, and then when the server reboots it re-registers itself with WINS and all is then ok.

There is no science behind my suggestion. It's just something that has happened a few times to me, with NT4 WINS, and doing this has fixed it!!

Age. :)

I believe entries with a ~ denotes a corrupted wins database which often occurs on NT4 wins

also you cannot logon due to duplicate name and there isn't one then simply stopping wins services on all wins allows you to login afterwhich you can restart wins services without disrupting users

i shut down the server and removed all entries for the missing server in the WINS database. started the server up and I am seeing the missing server in the network neighborhood. thanks for the help!!!

Where would i go to check these WINS entries? I am having a problem with my NT 4 server. I have two NICs installed and it seems to authenticate over one and not the other. Is there a ay to swith which NIC is used to log on to the network. The only way I have been able to do this is to disable the NIC that i don't want to use to authenticate on the network. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back