Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see new NT4 user from 98SE machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

DERTECH

Technical User
May 24, 2000
US
I have created a new user "testuser" on our NT4 network. For some reason when I try to log into the network from any client running Win98 I get "cannot find user". NT4 WS thru XP are fine. Any other username will log in as intended.

Any ideas as to why this would happen? Tried different incarnations of "testuser", but no joy via 98. Very frustrating.

No. I tried changing my password as well at the server. I now get a 'password incorrect or access to server denied' message on 98 machines. Strangely enough, the OLD password works for authentication. Again, all is well with Win2k and XP (with password change.) I tried deleting the .plw file for my account on the 98 machine and still nothing. We are using DNS and WINS. I have two BDCs but User Manager for Domains correctly reflects the additional users.

At first I simply renames my PWL. I have subsequently deleted ALL PWL files on the machine and did a cold restart. Still nothing. Earlier in the day I rebooted the PDC as well; ya know, just for kicks!

We seem to have ruled out password caching problems....

I've been looking on google groups. it seems win98 sometimes has trouble finding the the domain controller thru netbios/wins.

Use of LMHOSTS. file is way of the computer knowing about the domain controllers without having to resort to netbios.

===============
Security Forums

Thanks for the info browolf. I really appreciate your assistance. Unfortunately, the results did not improve. I remembered as well that in the LMHOSTS file there has to be exactly 20 spaces between the quotes in the '01xb' line
i.e., 172.16.33.1 "EURDBUENG1 \0x1b" I adjusted the white space accordingly.

I know that the PDC is being accessed. I can log onto the domain with existing users who have never accessed this machine before. In like Flynn!!! It appears to only have trouble with recent adds/changes.

Arggggggggggg!!!

i know that "bang head against wall" feeling
well ;-)
i cant think of anything else atm.

except ghost working machines onto not working ones. ===============
Security Forums

or
get a packet sniffer such as ethereal (and winpcap)
stick it on the same segment of the network & filter the traffic for 1 machine that doesnt work properly.

See if there's anything odd.

Grasping at straws now, i know :) ===============
Security Forums

I resolved the problem! Changing my password and not having it recognized was very puzzling. This got me and one of my techs to thinking and experimenting on a test network. We have Exchange running on on the PDC (not by MY choice.) Apperently, Exchange was caching the passwords somehow and not processing the changes/adds. When ONE the new users was deleted and then created through Exchange (primary NT account for mailbox -> create new) some miraculous transformation/synchronization took place and ALL the new users/PW changes were then recognized. Strangest thing I've ever encountered. But, I guess that M$ for you. Thanks for the great ideas along the way.

np. I'm glad u got it fixed. I h8 problems like that, where nothing makes any sense.

maybe u can use this event to get exchange on its own server :). since you/we dont seem to know exactly why it happened it could happen again and it could be worse.
===============
Security Forums

I have been trying to get that in place forever. It seems there is never enough money for the project, but plenty for whatever project tickles the executives' fancies.

I guess I just need to learn how to be a better tickler!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back