Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see new Inbox mail !

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilihp

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
GB
I have Outlook Express ver 6.0 with XP Home.
Although new emails are being downloaded, I cannot see them or their headers in the Inbox. This problem started a few days ago and the Inbox indicates there are about 20 unread emails waiting to be looked at. Where could they be? There is no dificulty in sending mail and there have been no changes to the computer; everything else is normal except for my usual very poor phone connection which has always been the case. Any ideas?

Is it set too delivery in an other folder?

RJ

RJ - nothing has been changed and in any case Inbox indicates there are unread messages waiting. Is there a 'Rebuild' function as with Turnpike?

Is your trouble the preview pane?

If you double-cclick an email does it come up?

pilihp, you're sure there's nothing new - like a virus scanner, pop-up blocker, or some other 'security' software?.

Make sure the "scroll bar" doesn't have them scrolled off the page. (I know - that's pretty dumb - but believe me I've seen it more than once).

Craig.

IFRs-All email headers that ARE visible behave normally both in preview and full size.
SMAH-Definitely no new software, virus or otherwise.
CWBARTON-Both scroll buttons, top and bottom are visible and moving scroll bar can be moved fully in either direction.

This is a complete mystery. The emails have been downloaded from the server and onto the computer and are indicated by a number adjacent to the Inbox - yet the headers cannot be seen.
Thanks all for suggestions - any more ideas?
pilihp

At the top of your screen in Outlook, click View, Current View and be sure "messages" is checked, the other choices filter out messages and you lose the view. Kikki

KIKI-'show all messages' is correctly checked- good thinking but this is not the problem.
pilihp

right click on one of the headings such as Subject, and select "customize current view". Look to see if the "filter" item says "No filter" or "filter applied". If it says filter applied, click on the button marked "Filter" then click "Clear All". Hopefully this will help you.

Marc

marc: right clicking a column heading does not give any filter options. It give 'columns' and 'sort ascending/descending' options only. clicking 'columns' merely gives a choice of which columns to display. There is definitely no 'view applied' and all messages SHOULD be visible. Thanks anyway.
pilihp

This morning I booted up as usual and got the message that 'Windows had recovered from a serious problem' etc.
Now, all those missing emails are visible and things are back to normal! Unfortunately, I didn't observe the boot up sequence so don't know if there were any indications as to what the problem was. I also cancelled the request to send MS an email before realising that Outlook Express was working properly once more.
I had booted up many times since the trouble started without any error messages of any kind so this whole experience remains a mystery.
Thanks to all who have tried to help.
pilihp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back