Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see my website locally but can on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcr123

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
US
I remember seeing a post for adding a cname or something like that in DNS on my w2k server. How can I get it so that I can view my website on my systems on my LAN? I can see it fine on the internet on other comps not on my lan. Also can this be done for 2 websites that I am hosting on my server?

in your hosts file add the ip address of the computer you are trying to reach. If THAT doesn't work, well let me ask you this -- Have you recently added a new firewall/router to your lan? Also can you access the website via the private IP? This may be something other than a configuration problem

I know that Netgear has a built-in security feature that does not allow you to access the public(internet) ip from within the lan. And if that is the case for you then you will need to change routers or access the website from it's private ip when on the lan.

Good luck and let me know

right now I have my computers pointing to the DNS server internal ip address IP address and I can see the web site now, however I cant get out to the internet. If I change the DNS settings to point to Comcast which I use then I can get out to the internet but then I cant see my website that I am hosting. Right now I have a cname entry in DNS which I named: www. The fully qualified name is: The fully qualified domain name for target host is: server.domainname.com. I have 2 host a records listed. 1 says same as parent folder and the 2nd says my server name and the fully qual. host name is my server.domainname.com. I am using a cisco 4000 router right now. Any suggestions? I am fine with using my internal server ip address for the dns on my local computers but then what do I do to get them out on the internet?

So cname resolves to both server.domainname.com, and
so you have something like this:

= domainname.com
server.domainname.com = domainname.com

Right?

Also make sure you have an A-record setup.

Tell me are you using Microsoft DNS Server? Windows 2000?

In your DNS server, add a forwarder to your external DNS. This will resolve any inquiries that are sent to your local DNS and then it will ask the external DNS if it does not know.

I had the same issue with an Exchange server locally. If used the internal DNS server, Exchange worked fine, but the Internet didn't. Adding the forwarder in the DNS server was all that was needed.

Norman Moy
I hope I helped. :)

ok thanks. By the way how do I set up the dns foward?

I am using Windows 2000 and DNS is running on my server. What is the correct way for setting up the DNS, meaning HOST A RECORDS and CNames, should they point to server.domainname.com or domainname.com? Can someone help me out with that?

Yeah I figured it out. I had recursion turned off and that was my reason for not being able to get out to the internet using my internal dns. I can get out to the internet and see my websites now that I am hosting.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back