Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see MSL5026 through FC and SCSI NSR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robalos

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2004
ES
Hello,

I'm trying to probe a solution of backup with Linux and bacula. We have a laboratory with:

- 1 HP Proliant DL360 G2
- 1 Compaq NSR (Data Router) M2402 that converts fiber channel to scsi and
- 1 SDLT Library HP MSL5026 with 2 drives.

DL360 server is conected with 1 pci FC HBA Emulex LP9000 to the NSR and this one to the library through scsi.
(Another pci FC pci hba connects the server to a san switch in order to see discs and Luns from an EMC CX600 array).

I have installed Suse 8.2 (updated) and the emulex driver as a module but I can’t see neither the Library nor the CX600 discs. This is what I get:

# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices: none

Can anyone help me and tell me what am i missing or what doing wrong??

Thanks a Lot!
Roba.

Have you created a zone on the SAN switch? Do you use access logix on the CX600? If you do use access logix then you will need to add the host to a storage group.

Thanks for replaying "comtec".
The zone is ok (configured by port instead of by www) in the san switch. The server is already in the storage group with 2 luns associates. But i havent installed the navisphere agent in the server. I havent got it.

My main problem right now it's the library. Do you know how to install and configure correctly?

This is the list of the pci devices (may help):
/ # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: ServerWorks CNB20-HE Host Bridge (rev 31)
00:00.1 Host bridge: ServerWorks CNB20-HE Host Bridge
00:00.2 Host bridge: ServerWorks CNB20-HE Host Bridge
00:03.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL (rev 27)
00:04.0 RAID bus controller: Compaq Computer Corporation Smart Array 5i/532 (rev 01)
00:05.0 System peripheral: Compaq Computer Corporation: Unknown device b203 (rev 01)
00:05.2 System peripheral: Compaq Computer Corporation: Unknown device b204 (rev 01)
00:0f.0 ISA bridge: ServerWorks CSB5 South Bridge (rev 93)
00:0f.1 IDE interface: ServerWorks CSB5 IDE Controller (rev 93)
00:0f.2 USB Controller: ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5 OHCI USB Controller (rev 05)
00:0f.3 Host bridge: ServerWorks GCLE Host Bridge
00:11.0 Host bridge: ServerWorks: Unknown device 0101 (rev 05)
00:11.2 Host bridge: ServerWorks: Unknown device 0101 (rev 05)
01:01.0 Fibre Channel: Emulex Corporation LP9000 Fibre Channel Host Adapter (rev 01)
01:02.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5703 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 02)
04:01.0 Fibre Channel: Emulex Corporation LP9000 Fibre Channel Host Adapter (rev 01)
04:02.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5703 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 02)
:/ #

Perhaps it does see it but just can not identify it.
Could be that these
00:11.0 Host bridge: ServerWorks: Unknown device 0101 (rev 05)
00:11.2 Host bridge: ServerWorks: Unknown device 0101 (rev 05)
are the library and tape drive.

Hi DavidM and also thanks for replying,

I thought too it could be but after searching some documentation (that points to the bus itself) and testing some things, it seems nothing to do with the library nor the discs.
I have disconnected the FC cable that goes to the Data Router (so the library) from the server and reboot but the lspci is the same.
Then I have disconeccted also the other FC cable that goes to the san switch (so the discs of the CX600) and reboot, but the list of scsi still remains as "none" and the lspci the same.

Maybe this solution is not supported neithr HP (the server and the library) nor Suse (and Debian also probed).
HP says the HBAs LP9000 are not supported but I have probed with Windows 2000 server and the same HW and see everything well.
Or perhaps it's a problem of configuration ...

Any help?

Best Regards,
Roba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back