Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see Lan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odyssey

Technical User
Dec 16, 2001
US
New build:
--------------
CPU: AMD Quad core Phenom II X4920
mobo: MSI 785GTM-E45 (No slots used, all onboard functions)
HDD: Seagate SATA 1T ST310000520AS
XP Pro 64 bit
4GB RAM

In the network config wizard, it gets to the end and says, "Can't find hardware"

The ethernet cable is plugged into the ethernet jack and the jack light is glowing green.

In the shell, ipconfig /all yields:

"Windows IP configuration"

Pinging the gateway yields:

"Destination Host Unreachable" for all 4 tries.

Ran Ubuntu virtual desktop and it connects immediately to the internet, so no hardware problems.

I am probably overlooking something very obvious, but it has been years since I ran into a problem like this. What am I missing? TIA.

Can't see Lan

SOunds like you don't have the driver for the network adapter installed.

Did you get a driver disc with your mobo?

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

That was it. Had failed to run the CD that came with the new mobo. In the past, all my new systems had come up running and I have never bothered with the update CD that comes with some motherboards. What a lesson.

Have now done and updated drivers and it is finding the internet just fine.

Thanks for your guidance.

Glad you got it sorted. :)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Very true.

I'm reminded of a time that I was writing a simple VBScript. It wouldn't work.

I stared at the code for an hour, before realizing that I was using Linux Shell commands.

DOH!

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back