Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see files to Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuliaTaylor

Technical User
Apr 27, 2001
US
Using ArcServe 2000 on Windows 2000 server. When doing restore, I can see Sessions, but cannot see directory structure or files below. Have to restore entire session. Is database corrupt? How do I fix database? Error message in list box is "There are no items to display in this view". How do I eliminate size limitations on database? It is set to prune older than 90 days. I did a merge, to no avail. Any ideas?

Is SP2 for Arcserve applied?

DETAILED database recording must be on in the job.

Using the Arcserve database manager, check the database size.

How BIG is the Arcserve database? How much FREE SPACE is on the drive with the Arcserve database? Did the Arcserve database drive ever run short on space? The database may be corrupted...

Call me for more detailed troubleshooting.

Check this tech doc:

Regards,

Jim P. Ames
True Data Storage Networks
Arcserve Service
Data Protection and Recovery

I have made sure the record database box is checked and still cannot see individual files. I am running Netware 4.1. I do have some tapes(old backups) that allow me to see the individual files. What has happened in the past is the original backup jobs stored on the server (as6 script files) were deleted. I created new job scripts and it seems to have stopped working/ recording the database. I can see in the job report that the full backup operation was succesfull and it took 6.5 hours, yet I still cannot see the individual files. This apparently had been going on for 2 months. I found out today when asked to restore 1 file from backup. I am in need of some help

Hi Julia / Montazuma,

Both of you may have similar situations with the Arcserve Database being corrupted. It sounds scary but it's not really. As Jim previously suggested check your admin options first before going further.

If you do have a corrupt database then the quickest thing will probably be to reinstall Arcserve and go from there. I have tried the check / repair database in the past and had varying results. The reinstall seems to be more stable and work longer going forward.

Before reinstalling Arcserve make sure you backup any current jobs that you have. These are the .asx script files that are created when you make a job. Save a copy of these to an alternate location so they do not get deleted. Also make note of any filtering that you may have done on your jobs, both at the global and the individual server level.

Once completed you can remove arcserve and reinstall it. Make sure you reinstall and then apply the current patches right away before proceeding. Once you have Arcserve reinstalled you should be able to import your backup jobs back in to the job database. Then, try performing a merge from one of your tapes and see if you are able to see your files.

If all goes well, you should be able to complete this in under 1 hour fairly easily.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Darryl Brambilla
EDS Canada
Darryl.Brambilla@eds.com

Thanks to both Jimpames and Electro for your efforts. When there were no replys by Monday morning, the 18th, we did do as Electro proposed. Backed up the files, uninstalled ArcServe, and then reinstalled it. We have not merged all the tapes back in--only if we need to will we do that. Seems to be working okay now. The tech doc information is useful. I wish ArcServe would provide an interface to these commands, like it did with the old Raima database. CA seems to take delight in making it hard--they never discuss maintaining the database in their regular or help documentation. We've been using ArcServe about 10 years and I've had corrupted databases on several occasions--learning the hard way not to defrag the drive with the database! LOL B-( X-)

Hi Julia,

Well, sorry the info came a little late but glad to hear that you made out ok. Hopefully you will be in better shape now for backups (at least for a while) :)

Take Care,

Darryl Brambilla
EDS Canada
Darryl.Brambilla@eds.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back