Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see files from an Applications browse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scpbrock

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
US
I have a software package on a Windows 2000 server box that has it's own explorer view. The problem is that only the local user that the program is installed under can view any files, otherwise anyone else can only see folders but not the content of the folders. Does anyone know what limits this view?
Their are no special services running on the Box e.g. no AD or DHCP ect.

is this a stand-alone or member server? have you checked the actual directory/file permissions?

It is a standalone server and all folders on the server at this time have Everyone group. Which I thought every user was partof by default?

if it's a standalone, then the Everyone group only applies to that machine's local accounts. You'll need to add duplicates of your user ID's/passwords to the server locally to gain access.

I think were getting off track. The local users of the Standalone Server do not have any problems seeing files and folders using Windows Explorer. It is only through this camera software that there is a problem. The browse feature in the software only works for the local user that the software was installed under.
The software loads for all other users but they can only see Folders no files are shown. The software is Olympus Camedia v1.0, it is a digital camera software, the problem is that the camera shows up as a folder, when you click on the camera folder it downloads the images from the camera to a view area in the software. If you are not the user that the software was installed under you can not get the pictures out of the camera.
If I re-install under another user it works only for that user.

yeah, derailed....

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with that software, and I'm guessing it didn't provide any documentation? Did you try installing as local admin? Are you sure that version of the software is supported for W2K?

What are the settings for that folder? (NTFS Permissions) A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

No the software is not W2K complient. The software date is 1998, but it is the only software that works with the camera we have. Since the user that the software is installed under I thought it was a simple Reistry entry or Policy setting. Appearently this is not the case.

Even if it is installed under the Local Adin account it only works under that Admin account.

P.S.
Thanks for your reply's!

yeah, unfortunately many pieces of software didn't have to take local security into consideration, as they were written for WIN9X O/S's. Anybody could run them....that might be the problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back