Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see broadcast message on UDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

craydog

Programmer
Apr 21, 2014
US
I am sending a UDP broadcast message from a pc to a VxWorks box with 3 cards, each connected to the network. One of the cards is behind an ethernet switch. The two cards without the switch receive the broadcast message but the card with the switch does not. Can send a unicast message directly the card's IP address and receive it. Have set the subnet mask the same on the offending card as the cards that do receive the broacast message. Is there any obvious reason why this would happen? Any idea on what to look for?

I would look for the make and model number of the switch. I am unsure how we can help with a part we cannot identify. (You have direct wired the offending port and it works without the switch?)

I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

Tsar of all the Rushers

Problem fixed. Found out that it is a Marvell Prestera-DX switch. There are bit settings on the switch to allow bridging of multicast packets. Got those set correctly and can now receive broadcast messages. If anyone is interested in further details I would be happy to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back