Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't see a machine or add printer in XP workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

denodave

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
(This question is also in XP forum)

Scenario: two XP machines and two Macs running through a router, all machines can be pinged and router interface can be accessed from all machines, so connectivity is not the problem. A printer is setup on one XP machine (A) which we need to access from the other (B). The (A) machine does not show up at all in the workgroup or in the MS Network thus we cannot add its printer to the (B) machine.

I had this problem on a different occasion and was able to map the printer from the target (A) machine to the desktop of the (B) machine and it worked; this time I tried to duplicate it and got this error: "You do not have sufficient priveleges to add printer. Do you want to run this as a different user?" I clicked yes and got a Run As dialog box. Tried to use the radio button to select a user and password (no password was in use) and got this response: "run dll as an app - login failure:account restriction" All users on all machines have administrator rights, so I don't understand that.

The thing I'd really like to know is why one of the XP machines is not being seen on the windows network but is pingable. Yes, they are in the same workgroup. There seem to be others who have this same sort of problem seeing machines on a peer network. What's up with this deal?

The Macs are not at issue. Thanks for any input!

Email me! dsaunders114@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

You may have to go into Network propertoes and Delete the Bridge that XP Created when you ran the Wizard.

thanks ba2486, but could you elaborate a little more? How does a network bridge affect one system's ability to be seen on the network? Also, I don't recall having run the network setup wizard, but then again I very well could have...in any case why does a bridge affect this?

Make sure you have file sharing enabled on the XP machine and they all use the same network password, or can use the same username/password on the network.

A network bridge would bridge or connect computers that have a different Workgroup name possibly.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

OK, thanks to all of you!

I am experiencing the same problem with XP. I have no network bridges as we are all in the same workgroup. I am on the network but when I click on "Add Printer" nothing happens. Does anybody out there know how to fix this problem?

Thank you all for any help you can provide,
Patricia

These problems don't sound like hardware issues. Perhaps the xp forum could better help with your problems. (Not that we won't try)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back