Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't search from Yahoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

bygeek

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2002
US
I have a customer running a win2000 stand alone system with SBC dsl. As of a week ago, they cannot do a search from the Yahoo home page (page cannot be displayed error). Also cannot connect directly to Google homepage unless they type in the IP address, then it connects and searches fine. Seem to be able to connect to all other websites and email ok. Ran full virus scan in safe mode with updated def files - nothing found. Ran spybot and removed all spyware. Set all IE security settings to lowest. No firewall in place. Was using Enternet 300 for PPPoE connection, now have PPPoE setting in Linksys router. Any ideas appreciated.

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most......

Sorry, forgot to mention we ran this already and found nothing - and also ran NAV as previously stated, and found nothing.

Try manually checking your hosts file find in winnt\system32\drivers\etc see if any entries have been added to it. Something is repointing those domain names thats why it works by IP but not host name.

But why would it not even search from Yahoo?

Because all the search links will use yahoo.com which sounds like its resolving to a different IP. If you ping what IP do you get just out of interest.

I don't know. The customer is about 40 miles away and I won't be able to get back out there right away.

Sounds like your firewall has a policy set up to thats blocking yahoo. You need to take a look at the configuration page, if you can't find any errors in the policies, reset the defaults for the router and reconfigure it again.

There is no firewall. It did the same thing with and without the router installed.

Have the same problem here. EXACT same problem. Other than recently installing a Lexmark USB printer, nothing has been done "purposely" on the computer.

Searches have worked since the printer install. ARGH!

P. Kaiser

Oh, did I mention the configuration is a D-link wireless router, to a cable modem. The nonfunctional Win2K machine is direct attached. A Win98 machine that is attached via wireless works just fine.

PKaiser

Sounds like you may have a DNS problem. If you can type in the numbers and get to the site, and the naming convention won't work, check your external DSN numbers. Change them or add a secondary if need be.

If you have the router, go into the router and get the first and second DNS off the status, and enter them on the local PC. That helps me out when I have connection issues, and am NOT running a 2000 server environment.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have matched all of the IP settings between the Win2K and Win98 box.. the router is providing it all by DHCP settings, and they are the same.

I ping and get a good response. I am getting no response from although it resolves to 207.44.194.56 (resolving
however, resolves to 216.109.118.71, but it's pinging
also resolves to 207.44.194.56... it's obviously DNS, but why the heck doesn't the Win98 box have the same issue?

P Kaiser

Note: Norton did not pick this up in their standard virus update until late last week. Run the qhost tool, see link, even if you think your regular scan was sufficient.

I ran this on my customer's machine and it made no difference.

Ran qhost twice.

Performed a search of all three hard drives for any files containing "google".... found a single file fp5awel.dll in the microsoft shared files dir... no change.

I did notice that their appears to be a technet article that might pertain to this..

looks like it relates to the 03-032 fix. It's one of those "contact us for the fix" type fixes...

P Kaiser

Solution was already on this site.

thread608-669691 took care of it for me... note, I initially installed the MS update, and then the fix, then deleted the keys, but failed to reboot. a reboot was required.

P Kaiser

as mentioned by FaiTHLeSS, check your hosts file. The system queries the hosts file prior to checking the DNS servers. Any rogue entry in the hosts file will definitely redirect your browser or any other internet app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back