Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't save image on transparent bg. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierino2019

Technical User
Jan 30, 2005
AU
Well, I can save it, but the background always turns white in the process.

All I want to do is paste an image I scanned from a comic onto a transparent background and then save it as a gif or jpeg (I'm not fussed which). I've followed many an online tutorial for doing this but end up with the same result every time.

I've tried the export transparent wizard, but still the white background. The only time I meet with success is when I save the file in Photoshop's native (PSD) format. However, a PSD file is useless to me in this instance, since I want to use the image as an avatar in an online forum.

Would some kind sould please give me some idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance.

First off, forget JPEGs, they don't support transparency.

The only two web-ready formats that support transparency are GIF (well supported, basic transparency) and PNG (basic support, great transparency). Go to File > Save For Web..., and in the settings, pick either GIF or PNG. Make sure Transparency is checked and it should work.

Thanks, blueark. Took your advice. Tried saving it as GIF first. Still came up with the white bg. But when I saved it as a PNG file, the transparency survived the transition.

Thanks again!

Hi, also in case you ever need to do a GIF here is my solution. I do not save for web, have never gotten a GIF web version to do transparency either. Make a new layer under everything that is just blank and transparent. Hide that layer and then in the layers palate select "Merge visible", This will take all your layers and form it into one image except that transparent image. If you were to just flatten the image it turns white, not transparent. Then you can go to File - Save As - and select gif. Again I would not try to save as web. Let me know if this is confusing or you run into a problem because I would be happy to double check my steps and resubmit if something does not work. Good luck!

Sorry poetstrm but that is simply unnecessary. Of course you can make a transparent gif fom a layered file.

You probably both simply don't have Transapency box checked in your save for Web -gif - options.

Actually I guess you do otherwise you wanted be able to make a transparent gif even with your method.

Maybe that is pierino's trouble though.

you wouldn't be able" that should have read.

Boy I need to go home. Long, hot day today.

Poetstrm, your solution may be a little too complicated for this Photoshop novice at the moment. But thanks anyway!

When saving GIFs for web, you should always use Save For Web. There are optimizations there that simply aren't available anywhere else, and it omits all unnecessary file information. You don't even need a transparent background to make a transparent GIF. In the save for web dialog, just do the following:

1: Make sure the settings are set to GIF
2: Select the eyedropper tool on the left
3: Click on a color you want to be transparent
4: Just below the Color Table on the right, there is a checkered icon. Clicking that will turn that color transparent.

blueark, I am trying to follow your directions but am running into a snag. I am running photoshop 6 on windows XP and when I go to save as web I found the eyedropper tool. I checked transparency, clicked on the eyedropper, clicked on the background color in the picture (was automatically turned to white). The only problem is I cannot find that checkered box to make that color trsnaparent. This is a problem I have had for months so if you can help I would appreciate it. Saving my images as regular gifs is eating up my webspace very quickly. Thanks!

There's a good reason for that: it's not there! It was introduced in PS 7. Also, the "Export Transparent Image" wizard under Help leaves a lot to be desired. The best thing to do in PS 6 is to actually work on a transparent background, or use the selection tools to delete the background. Then Save For Web will give you a nice optimized file.

Blueark, thanks, one more question though. If I am working with a round image, say a curved button for a web page, and the background is already transparent, when I do save as web and select gif, it turns the square area around the button white, not transparent. Is there anyway to avoid this in ver 6? It seems if the image is round the program wants to make it square and the extra corners are made white. Thanks again!

In the Save for Web dialog, if GIF is selected, there should be a Transparency check box. Make sure that's selected. If it's unavailable, look at the number of colors used. If it's 256, there's a possibility that it's a fixed palette that doesn't include transparency. Just reduce that number a little, or change it to Auto.

You may also notice a white "halo" effect around the image, as it assumes it's going to be placed on a white background. You can change this by clicking on Matte and choosing another color. GIFs have only one level of transparency, so they often look a bit rough around the edges. Careful use of Matte can make this transition look smoother.

thanks, that did the trick. I was on 256 colors but once changed to auto it works beautifully. Also appreciate the tip about matte. I always wondered what that was for too. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back