Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't save excel file creates false names 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BYarn

MIS
Jul 20, 1999
US
We have an excel workbook which is supposed to be shared by a number of people (some run excel 2000 and some run excel 97) even with network permissions all set (I did them) and with the file set to share (TOOLS, Share workboot, "ALLOW Changes...) the file either doesn't open cleanly (w/out an error message) or the user gets an erro message when saving file.

Often it won't save under original file name (network shared drive)but gives various error messages and saves it with a "program canned" name (like 2612C100 for example)People need to update file and can't. I will note that the original creator of file has no trouble (W2K box/Excel 2000)

Thanks

I'm having exactelly the same problem.
Any clues about what might be causing it?

Worksheets created with Excel 2000 have to be saved as "Microsoft Excel 97-2000 & 5.0/95 Workbook (*.xls). Excel 2000 worksheets aren't backwards compatible with earlier versions of Excel. To do the above, go to FILE->SAVE-AS then click the "SAVE AS TYPE" pull down menu (below the file name) and select Microsoft Excel 97-2000 & 5.0/95 Workbook (*.xls)

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

This problem seems to have "taken care of itself" But for infos sake. It was created on a Excel 2000 PC bu it is shared by Excel 2000 and '97 based PCs

Thank you for your postings.
The workbook in my case was created by a Excel 2000 and all the client machines accessing it run the same software version. I then went on the Microsoft website and found out that the machines that need to modify it must have Delete permissions to the file.
This being because when you open a workbook, it opens a temporary copy of the file. Then, when you change it and save it, the software deletes the old version of the file and renames the newly updated file with the correct name. If the users don't have Delete permissions to the file, an error message will come up saying: "Your Changes could not be saved to BOOK1.xls. File rename has failed. Save process not successful."
If the renaming of the new file is not permitted, the system just saves the file with a random name such as CURH4928 with no extension.
The solution was to give the users Delete permissions to the file. This seems to have cured it.

hmsr21, I haven't come across this problem yet, but I maintain a shared work environment, and we just may share Excel workbooks someday, and if so, you just saved me some time - cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back