Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't run Update AVG or AdAware 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Technical User
Feb 24, 2000
AU
Visit site
Friend is running Win XP-SP2 with a dialup Internet connection. IE6 and Outlook Express both work fine, but neither AVG nor AdAware will update from within their programs, getting a message, can't connect to server.
This system did have Zone Alarm which was uninstalled a few weeks ago. An updated version of AVG 7 found no virus. Any ideas will help, thanks.

Some of the AdaWare issue may just be a busy server. There are a lot of XMAS computer presents out there.

I had the problem before...I presume from your post you are not using it on a network. One way to try and fix it is to reinstall both apps that are not working. Hard work i know but after i done this on my machine, it worked perfectly.. Although i defo agree with bcastner with the fact that many people will be acsessing the servers :)

~ You have nothing to fear but fear itself... n maybe the Microsoft Corp ~

Re Bill's post. Yes base install is OK.
Re SlainAngel, Standalone PC. No problem to re-install both apps, but this I have done with AVG 7.
Maybe I shall uninstall and try again! However I suspect this problem arrived when my friend installed Zone Alarm and "uninstalled" it be deletion. I had to re-install ZA and then uninstall it correctly.
Anyway thanks for your comments, I will press on with this problem again in the New Year.

Is AVG and AdAware setup to auto-dial? You may have to logon to the net before you can contact these sites.

Thanks micker377, you are quite correct about autodial, but not in this case! Thanks

Rosco,
I want you to try something that seems a bit backwards. Reinstall Zonealarm (the same version that was on there before) and run it. Go into "program control" and make sure AVG and Ad-Aware have full access to the internet (server is not necessary).

After doing so, try to connect with either app without uninstalling ZA. If they work now, then it's likely because the "TrueVector" service of ZA was running even after you uninstalled ZA the first time. For some reason, it was left behind. When this happens, TrueVector by default doesn't allow apps not already on the acceptance list to get through.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg,

Star for you. And interesting approach to the problem.

Re my problem posted 28 December, I can report that all is well now! You were 100% correct cdogg. The True Vector of ZA was in fact running and your advice was spot on for the "fix". Greatly appreciated.
Rosco

Rosco,
Thanks for posting back with an update. Glad that worked for you...

[thumbsup2]

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Cdogg is a very good problem solver...am glad to say.

Rosco, personally I prefer using the basic Windows XP firewall (SP2) instead of ZA though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back