Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't run Office on XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mot98

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
CA
Hi All,

Just finished installing XP Pro on one of our workstations. I installed Office 97, when I attempted to run any of the apps ie: word, excel. It would do weird things. At first the program would just dissapear, then sometimes it would error out and "end program".

Has anyone seen problems like this before?

I uninstalled Office 97, and installed a copy of Office 2000, but I am getting the same results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

mot98
[cheers]

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

Try the following to completely remove the 97 installation. Then try re-installing Office 2000 there are a lot of problems with 97 in XP.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Tried the office97 eraser, and re-installed 2000. Still having the same problem.

Any other ideas??
mot98
[cheers]

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

mot98,
when you finish installing 2000 as administrator did you run the program under the admin profile? if not, click on outlook, let it start up the program (it will install certain files at first startup) to where you would setup a profile, then exit out of outlook, log off, sign on as the user and it will do the same thing (install certain files, make sure your network drives are mapped) and you will then be able to setup that persons email ect.
XP has too many things the admin needs to do for programs to run that it makes my day very very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back