Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant run new install Norton 2004 with existing virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDennis

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
GB
I have installed Norton 2004 OK but it wont start. Have checked with the Norton site and the virus W32.HLLW.DONK.L is detected on the machine. The fix from Symantec is to download the latest def files and run a scan to clear it. I have downloaded the file ok but Norton still wont start and therefore I cant clear the virus. There is no freestanding repair for this virus. The virus check on installation of 2004 does not find the virus (too far out of date.)

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

regards

John

Symantec often have the spec for manually removing these things. Boot to Safe Mode and clean it out from there?

Andy.

Thanks folks, will try - although Symantec don't describe a manual delete for this virus that I can find.

rgds

John

OK all clear. Manually removed the Registry keys to disable the virus so I could run NAV then latest defs from Symantec cleared it out.

Thanks again

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back