Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't run Netscape or Mozilla Browser After OS Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

tviman

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
US
I've had to reinstall my W2K OS. Now that the system is back up and running, I've reinstalled Netscape 7.2 Browser. Problem... it won't run! Neither will Mozilla! Any ideas?

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

why did you need to reinstall?

did they work before?

any issues during the reinstall? (was it clean reinstall?)

Does Internet Explorer work?
Ive sometimes found that with new profiles/machines you have to run IE first and make sure thats ok, then try Mozilla.

I had to reinstall the OS because it started having explorer.exe errors that couldn't be rectified. (These errors started about a month ago and have been getting increasingly worse.) Up until last week all the software on the machine worked fine. There were no problems with the reinstall but we've had some issues with installing all of the updates - especially SP4, which we havn't yet been able to install. The installation fails when trying to copy a file named cficonfg.exe. The installation program says it can't copy the file even though it is in the directory and it can see it.

IE works with no problems. One thing that just dawned on me is to check the group policies - I may have missed something there. I'll look into it today and let you know.

In the meantime, if you come up with any other ideas, please send them on! THANKS!!!

Okay...

There's nothing amiss in the group policy area. However, I did find that in the Documents and Settings folder there are numerous Administrator folders. I don't remember there being more than one before. Is this normal? (I am admittedly weak in the W2K system administration area). This is really getting to me. Also, there are no .NET Framework services installed. Again, I never checked to see if there were any before the reinstall but there is a shortcut to .NET Framework services in the Administration Tools.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

I would just remove the Mozilla folder from Application Data in the user's documents and settings folder..

This is a common problem when Mozilla won't start.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

LLoyd - that's what it turned out to be. There was a Mozilla.org folder with the accompanying files on the Programs/common files folder. I uninstalled Netscape, removed the entire Mozilla.org folder, reinstalled Netscape and voila! - away she went. Runs likle a top now!

The way I found it was by using a tool called FILEMON. If you haven't used it, it's like event view on speed! It shows EVERYTHING that's happening with the file system. As soon as I clicked on the NEtscape icon, it immediately showed that several files couldn't be found. I performed a search on the first file it couldn't find and that's when I discovered the stray files - something that you would think would be removed during an uninstall.

Anyway, things are looking up now. Thanks for everyones help and ideas.

Mozilla doesn't remove ANY of those files.. so when an installation goes wrong, or some kind of preference or extensions kills your install.. and you go to remove to reinstall..

the problem will still persist till you remove the folder.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back