Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't run as non-admin from Citrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmo623

MIS
Feb 5, 2003
US
We're in the process of a new Goldmine installation and will be using Citrix on the client end (Metaframe XP on Win2K). The Goldmine application is installed on a Win2K server that also houses the SQL Server 2000 database where the Goldmine data lives. The Goldmine desktop shortcut on the Citrix server simply points to the Goldmine folder on the SQL Server box. Everything works fine if I launch Goldmine as Administrator on the Citrix server, but when I try to run it as a non-privileged user I get the following error:

Goldmine cannot dynamically load functions from IDAPI32.DLL. Please re-install the Borland Database Engine (BDE).
BDE Error: 8458

I worked with our vendor for a while this morning and he went through the BDE settings on both servers to make sure everything was correct. We also tried giving Everyone full access permissions on the system32 folder. No luck. Anyone else run into this problem?

TIA,
John

John,

Funnily enough I did an install on to that exact environment for a 200+ user today. GM works well in this environment. Did you install using the Control Panel Add Program or with Change User /Install from the cmd prompt?

How have you published GM?

Regards,

Richard.
PRIOR Analytics UK
The Current UK number 1 provide of GoldMine.

Richard,

It's been several weeks since the actual install, so it's not fresh in my mind, but if I remember correctly we just installed directly from the CD autorun menu. We installed onto the Win2K server running SQL Server 2000, not the server running Citrix. We then installed some MS MDAC and SQL client components on the Citrix server and created a desktop shorcut pointing the the GM executable in the shared GM folder on the SQL Server machine. I'm working with a GM reseller and this is what I was told to do. Works fine as admin on Citrix but not as a regular user.

As far as how normal users will access GM, it's a shortcut icon on their desktop as well.

-John

Hello

Try this...

W/Master rights, log into Goldmine

File | Configure | Users Settings

select your login, click Properties, select Access tab

compare your SQL Logon and SQL Password to a user that is not working

Good Luck
Dave

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I'm not getting as far as being able to log into Goldmine. The BDE error message pops up before the GM login screen appears. I tried adding a non-priveleged account to the Administrators group and this worked, so it's clearly a permission issue somewhere. I'm definitely not going to add my regular Citrix users to the Admin group though so this is not a viable solution.

-John

If you need help, then let me know. We have several clients running Citrix and Goldmine with many locations on Frame.

Don Reeves
SCSI Business Solutions, LLC

No need to contact a money grubbing consultant! Believe me, as a user, there is nothing I hate more than coming to a user supported forum and seeing a consultant "fish" for leads.

I've had a problem similar to this. I am using GoldMine in the same exact way you are with over 300 users.

Try this: Copy the IDAPI32.DLL to your Windows\System32 directory...also search the hard drive where your installation is and ensure there are no other IDAPI32.DLL's. Richardy's suggestion of running it from the Control Panel is *key* - it has to be done for the installation. Also, download the latest patch from FrontRange, if not available b/c of NetUpdate - contact your vendor to get the .exe file. Good luck!

We also have the same configuration as you. However, the IDAPI32.DLL is located on the mapped drive under a subdirectory of where the gmw6.exe is. Your citrix server needs to reference this file and you need to check the settings in the registry.

To help with getting the DLL registered you can add the following line to the gm.ini file:

NetIDAPI32DLL= F:\bde4\idapi32.dll

Where the path is your centre path.

Have you given full access for domain users to the Goldmine folder on the SQL server? also make sure there are no Group policies that may conflict with users permissions. Sometimes high security templates can jinx the works too.

We were able to solve the problem by changing the permissions on the Borland registry key on the Citrix server. By default the permissions on the Borland key are read/write for whoever creates the key, zero permissions for everyone else. I just created a group called Goldmine, added the Goldmine users, then gave read permissions to the Borland key for that group using regedt32. It appears that BDE always checks to make sure the key settings are correct on startup and bombs out with an error if it can't read the key. Since the key settings are correct it doesn't matter that all the regular users have read-only permission.

Thanks,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back