Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't run applications in Windows 98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fowlinho

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
GB
I have had a awave of viruses attack my machine which somehow knocked out my McAfee checker. I'm using Windows 98 SE and now am unable to open applications and get the prompt that I require gwrrukz.exe. I'm unable to locate this file on my C drive / my LAN to my other PC's hard drives and also the 98 SE CD ROM.

Outlook is fine and so is IE 6.00. I can get to Word / Excel through opening existing files. Is there anything I can do to recover the situation?

Best regards

Steve

sfowler128@ntlworld.com

All

Please see link:

This is what I opened as it appeared to be an MS warning. I will follow the instructions, but I think it will be hard to "Run" any program as this is what the worm has done to my machine.

If you have any suggestions - please post!

Thanks for your patience again!

Steve

Try to run it, I remember having computers screwed over by Sircam, which tied into the registry key I have referenced. I did have luck popping in the floppy, and running the removal tool on several machines. Let me know.

Matt J.

I have just repaired one of these problems. You can use regedit at the command prompt. Go to the wonderful microsoft site and look for:-

"Using Registry Editor in Real Mode"

It helped me solve my problem.

Hi Matgoat, so this would be in MS DOS?

Steve

Yes it is in dos.

Simply use the F8 key at boot to get into DOS and follow the instructions for using REGEDIT in DOS. These instructions are available from Microsoft:-

Using these instructions you can correct your entry:-

Hkey_classes_root\exefile\shell\open\command

as suggested by someone earlier. Once the exefile entry is corrected then the remainder of the search and fixes can be done in Windows.

Cleared hard dik by reformatting twice - 1st time ran for a bit but then something strange happened and I couldn't access progs from systray. 2nd time I loaded a virus checker which tells me I have variations of Opas worms. Although these are moved and healed I still get them back so how can they be deleted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back