Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Retrieve Internet Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

matica

Technical User
Jan 13, 2002
US
Hello
I'm trying to fix a problem with my exchange server. Im using Exchange 5.5 with Outlook 2000 clients. Each client has an external internet mail site set up.
The problem I'm running into: One computer(my computer) will retrieve the mail from the internet site with no problems, but the others can't. When the users click the "Send and Receive" button, the "Delivering Messages" dialog box pops up like everything was fine. No errors occur, but no mail is retrieved.
My ISP setup a pop account with a wild card so any username can come in. But my exchange server won't route the mail to the user on the LAN( my computer gets all the mail.) when I send mail from my intranet to one of the user on it works good.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem(s) could be???

Hey Chris,

I check all the configurations on the exchange server. The SMTP address looks good in all the mailboxes, I disable the cc:mail because we are not using lotus. The mail is working good internally and very fast, mail goes out fine to from any user but no mail is coming in at all. I been on that site (Simpler Webb) and I follow the IMC/S step for the configuration.

Man I have no idea on what the problem is.

To Star fresh I will discrave my Lan configuration;

one win 2000 server as the main controller, one NT4.0sp6 as stand alone running Exchange5.5 sp3, 15 win98 systems, one 10baseT hub and a DSL modem/router.

I created a new zone on the win2000 server and I add this records
The name of the zome : mydomain.com
mydomain.com. IN MX 10 myserver.mydomain.com.
mydomain.com. IN MX 20 myisp.com.
myserver.mydomain.com. IN A x.x.x.x

and I have the DNS stop on the NT box.

Can this help you see where the problem is......?

I really thank you for taking the time to help me,

Again thank you very much Chris.....

Cheers,

Matica

Hi Matica.

Have you got Diagnostic Logging turned on for the IMS? If not can you set the Initialization and Archival to Medium and the other Categories to Maximum, Then you can get event auditing which will help to track down the problem. Make sure that the event log settings have the log file size set high enough, about 6 meg should be sufficient for a few days, Clear the log to use these new settings. Then let Exchange continue trying to get them on whatever schedule you have set and you will see various events appear. The info needed is if any errors or warnings appear, This will help pinpoint the problem (in theory)

Chris

Good morning Chris I hope you are having a good day.

I did what you toll me with the Diagnostic Logging and I see a report from the application log for every message the I send out to the internet. On my event viewer the MTA said:
Delivery of message <E1A15E79EC0AD61190660048541D2BA510E6@mymailserver> from <matica@mydomain.com> in temporary file D1FXNCQD was attempted to host(s) my ISP IP address(domain of person that I send the mail) with 1 recipients delivered and 0 undeliverable.
The SMTP said:
A new TCP/IP SMTP connection has been made to host my ISP IP address(domain of the person that I send the mail). Logfile: L0000000.LOG

I don't get any log from the incoming mail, well there is no mail coming in....On my IMS properies, under connection, message delivery I have the IP address that the ISP assing to us.

Thank you again and I hope you have a good day.

Cheers,

matica

something you need to check is that any mail for your domain is arriving in the domain mailbox. Send a e-mail from a webmail provider (Hotmail, Yahoo etc) to a non existant user (somebody@yourdomain.com) see if it gets accepted by the host and then see if it appears in the catchall mailbox. Most ISP's provide a webmail interface to the mailbox so you can check for waiting messages (this access can be a life saver if you get a virus influx and you need to stop incoming and delete any queued messages) check with your ISP for details.

Chris

I understand what it is you are saying, thank you much. Although I am not clear as to where or what the catchall mailbox resides or is? If you could let me know I would appreciate it greatly, much thanks for all your help!

Matica

The 'catchall' mailbox should be at your ISP and is basically a single storage area where any messages for your domain will be saved (*@yourdomain.com) and is normally accessed by logging onto the ISP with just the host name(yourdomain.com) and a password. As said earlier most ISP's can and should provide 'wrappers' around this for your access

Chris

Just an extra comment that may help (if you know this already please ignore), I noticed you have checked the IMS &quot;On my IMS properies, under connection, message delivery I have the IP address that the ISP assing to us&quot;.

You actually need to ensure the server itself has this address. ie. the TCP settings in the network control panel.

The idea is that your whole exchange server needs to have a proper real internet TCP/IP address (the address your ISP gave you). With out this, other E-mail servers on the internet can not see your exchange server, therefore can not send SMTP signals to it.

If your router/firewall is running NAT and your Exchange server is on the inside of the NAT, then you will need to set up a one to one static IP address mapping on the router/firewall.

You know guys I check my 'catchall' and all the mail was sitting there..... 57 messages.....

I also double check my router configuration and well don't see anything bad.

So at this point mail works good internally, mail goes out fine but no mail get in. But the mail send to the domain from the internet do get to the 'cacthall'.

I also have the protocol POP3 enable in my exchange server.

Matica

Hey Chris the other question in my mind is how exchange get the mail from the ISP. I havent detup anywhere the user name and password for the POP3 account on my exchange.

Hey thank you very much for coming this far helping me out..

Matica

I am having the same problem as Matica. Our Email was working fine and it just stopped delivering our mail. We are receiving incoming mail on our Exchange server, but it is not delivering mail to the appropriate person. It is stopped up on the Exchange server. What is frustrating, is that this just happened out of the blue. HELP

with regard to this exchange issue.....

I have two servers (of several)
one, which runs exchange 5.5...
the second, which is connected to the ISP, running a proxy server (WinRoute Pro) and an SMTP server (Omniquad MailWall) on port 25...which is configured to connect to the ISP, open the appropriate mailboxes, download all the e-mails and forward them to the exchange server....

the exchange server is configured to forward all e-mails to the SMTP server, which sorts out internal or external (by e-mail domain) and returns anything for the internal domain back to the exchange server, and anything else, it forwards to the ISP for delivery.

It works very well, and can, provided the SMTP server is configured for port 26, run on the same box as the exchange server.

hope this clears the air a bit.....

Jon. Jon. :)
----------------------------------------
To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
----------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back