Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't restore from NTBACKUP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooma

MIS
Apr 7, 2002
Ok, my exchange server hard drive crashed. I have the NTBACKUP.

I slap in a new HD.
I format
I install Windows 2000 with NNTP and IIS
I install SP4
I join the domain with the old server name
I install E2K with setup.exe /disasterrecovery
Setup finishes and I run NTBACKUP - restore
Restore finishes
I reboot

When it comes online, the information stores will not mount.

I suspect that it has something to do with the service pack level I was on in exchange. BUT I have no idea which one it was.

All I have now is the .edb and .stm files....

Any suggestions on how to recover?

An internal processing error has occurred. Try restarting the Exchange System Manager or the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, or both.

ID no: c1041724
Exchange System Manager

I get this.....
I've read I should be applying the system state prior to using the NTBACKUP restore.... has anyone out there successfull done a restore with the system state?

Would an option be to exmerge out all pst files from the .edb and .stm. Build a brand new exchange server re-create all mailboxes then import .pst files back in via exmerge? Not looking forward to that.....

I am now getting worried.....any help would be of help.

From memory doesn't that error mean you've got the database but the checkpoint file is wrong?

Hello all...

Well I got it mounted.... started from scratch.

I think the issue I had was that after I did the exchange 2000 setup /disasterrecovery, I ran the SP4 update.exe WITHOUT the /disasterrecovery switch.

I did this and it worked like a charm!

Thanks to all for your relpies / support!!!!

Well done !

Dont forget to apply the Exchange Service Pack 3 and rollup patches

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back