Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't remove trusted domain from AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mquinn0908

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
US
We had a server that completely quit on us and we want to reinstall it. The problem is in the domain and trusts. The pc that died is in its own domain and is trusted by the other. On the server that is still up the domain of the dead server still shows up and it won't let me delete it. When I try to set up the new server and put it in a domain (which is the same as the original) it says that this domain already exists. When I go into AD on the server that is running and try to go to the properties of the old domain it gives me the active directory object could not be displayed and a referral was returned from the server. When I go to the properties of the running server in AD domains and trusts and highlight the domain of the dead server it won't let me remove it. How can I get the domain deleted so I can re-add it to the new server? I have tried the ntdsutil utility and after it ran I got a message saying that session disconnected successfully. The only thing I haven't done is reboot the server after running the utility. If I do this will the domain then be gone from AD?

Use ntdsutil command to remove it. The followings are some article from Microsoft to walk you thru of removing dead DC from Active directory: Q230306, Q318698 and 216498

I have ran the ntdsutil already and I got the message "session disconnected sucessfully". However, when you go into domains and trusts the old domain is still there. When I try to get the old server back up with the old domain name it says that it is already in use by the network.

Like I said before the only thing I haven't done yet is reboot the server that I ran the ntdsutil on. Does this need to be done before the domian can be removed?

Thank you.

Give it a go. If you can't take the server stop & restart the DNS & Netlogon services.

Ash.

Give it a go. If you can't take the server down - stop & restart the DNS & Netlogon services.

Ash.

I restarted teh DNS and Netlogon services and the nonexistent domain still shows up in AD domains and trusts.

Try ADSIEdit Utility. It's a tool kit from Microsoft Windowss 2000 Server CD.

Did you try removing the trust from the properties of the domain object in AD domains and trusts?

I also used the ADSIEdit Utility and can't find any references to the domain that needs to be removed. Also I did try removing the trust from the properties of the domain object and the remove option is greyed out.

There is a DS Repair tool that you can use while booting, but its hard to get and dangerous to use.

If you're in a hurry, you may want to drop the 125$ to MS for the support call. I'm sure they could clear the issue pretty quick.

Good luck! I'll let you know if if find any helpful info.

When you did all the commands above, is your new computer (the one w/ the old domain name) connecting to hubs/switch that have the other server connected? If so unplug it from network and run all the above commands again.

I unpluged the server from the hub and ran the ntdsutil commands again and then rebooted the server. Once the server came back up I went into domains and trusts and the domain was finally gone!!

Thank you everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back