Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't remove read only attribute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mich

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2000
US
OK, I'm connecting to a share on a server. When I try to write a file to the share I get a 'Permission Denied' error. I found out that the folder was Read Only, so I went into the folders properties, unchecked Read Only, and clicked Apply. If I turn around and go right back into the folder's properties Read Only is checked again.

After doing some research I added a UseSystemForSystemFolders DWORD to the registry and rebooted, but I still have the same problem - I can't remove the Read Only attribute.

When I remote into the server and check folder's attribute it doesn't have Read Only checked.

Any ideas?

-If it ain't broke, break it and make it better.

You have only got read access to the share (even if you have full access to underlying folder, no good if only read access to the share). As you've obviously got access, you can change the share security to give yourself write/full access.

My account has full (local admin) rights to the share, but the folder properties when viewed from my workstation are Read Only.

Ok - other way round then? Have you only got read access to underlying filestore on the server folder/file?

So basically are you sure your user (I presume its a domain user) has full rights (or at least write access) to both the underlying filestore - the folder you're trying to write to and the share?

Also - if you're actually creating a file in the shared folder, you WILL need full access (or at least create as well as write). Check all your security accesses.

I'm 99.99% sure it's not a permissions issue. My account has full control of that folder. When I log in locally using my domain account to that server I can write to the folder, but when try to write to the folder from another machine (write to a share on that server) I get the 'Permission Denied' message.

Sounds like the folder is inheriting the permissions from a folder above it which would explain the persistent read-only.
When logging on locally to a PC/server the least restrictive permissions apply i.e. you can be in a group with read only and your actual account on the server can have full. You get full access.
With the above in mind, when logging on across the network the most restrictive permissions will apply i.e. you now have read only.
I would check the groups that currently have read-access and verify membership in that/those group/s.

Hope this is it for you.

I happened across this thread by doing a search on Dogpile.com for what sounds to be the same problem. While logged on locally with the administrator account I still can't remove the read only attribute. This is even after removing the dynamic volume and reformatting the new dynamic volume. I assigned the volume "U:" and labeled it "User Data". The only folder at this time in the root directory is "Scans". I can't remove the read only attribute on this folder.

I haven't found a solution but wanted to keep this thread alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back