Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't remember procedure 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrograMan

Programmer
Jul 21, 2001
US
I'm dealing with larger numbers here (like, doubles) and I'm trying to take off the decimals (convert to true integers) of a number that's based off the larger number (e.g. 317602 / 3). The number length can get up to 8 places and it's irritating me. What's the procedure to hack off the decimals?

that only gives me everything after the decimal. I want everything before the decimal.

If you want it rounded off, use n=int(317602 \ 3). If you want the number trunkated, use n=int((317602 \ 3)+.5)

Dan

JohnYingling, the \ operator I know is the modolus operator and only returns the remainder of a division problem.

Dan, the int() operation doesn't work. I think I need to somehow convert the double into integer, but the compiler tells me that using Cint() only causes overflow.

\ = mod
/ = div

I had long since tested the function of \ operator checking to make sure that wasn't the issue, but it wasn't. I had read up a little on modulus before it anyway.

PrograMan

Suggest you re-read the manual and do a little further testing before getting any deeper in!

/ is normal division
\ in integer division (Div)
Mod is Mod

This is cut & pasted from Immediate window to illustrate:
? 20/3
? 20\3
? 20 mod 3

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Well shoot, I had tried that before and I had those other results. I just now tried it again and the results came out better. Thanks guys, it all works out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back