Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't remember how to shift the entire MS Project forward one month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2001
US
I'm pretty sure I've done this before but I can't remember how to do it. I want to simply shift an entire MS Project file forward approx. 1 month while still keeping the overall time-frame entact. Hardly any tasks are linked so I can't just change the first one and have it ripple through the tasks. Any ideas?

Thanks
Dave

Not sure if this is the correct answer, but can't you just open the Project Information dialog box (within the Project menu) and edit the 'Start Date'?

Thanks for the response.

You sure can do this but this will merely start all of the tasks that were scheduled at the beginning of the project later to whenever the start date is. Example: You have an 8 task project - 4 are in May, 4 are in June. Long about May 20th you realise that your project is running so late (not started yet) that you might as well start the May tasks in June. This will mean that you won't get to the June tasks until July. Simply changing the start date as you, quite rightly, suggested will only make it so ALL of the tasks are now in June (unless they were linked ofcourse). Try it quick.

I want to be able to shift the entire 8 tasks forward (even though they aren't linked). I'm so sure I've done this some way before but just can't quite get it now.

Thanks again and if you figure it out please let me know.

Spacebound

Can someone please let me know how I can go for the PMP certification? How do I give all the necessary proofs/documentation in terms of the number of hours of Project Management experience etc.? Is there any centres offering any training for PMP certification in the UAE? Is there any examination centres for this certification in the UAE?

VK, there is also a lot of info in previous posts in this forum on PMI certification - see pmi.org for training orgs, etc. You don't give proofs unless they audit you, then they just call the organization and get verbal verifications. Please start a new thread if you have more questions on this topic, as we try to keep on the topic specified in the title for each thread. This helps us serch for answers already posted just by browsing thread names. Thanks.

On the topic of this thread, what about linking all your tasks to a single milestone called Project Start? Then you could just change the milestone.

elizabeth,

Thanks for the input. That's a good idea but unfortunately that doesn't work either. If you move the milestone forward it just catches up with the tasks that are scheduled in the future. They all have to be linked to each other to move together accordingly - but I don't want to link them all (lol). All the tasks have to be set on ASAP and linked together for the whole entity to move forward (unless you want a flat beginning on the same day).

Also my example above was with only 8 tasks but try linking a 250-task project to one milestone. lol, I have a couple projects even bigger than that. We're getting close here and that was a good idea. Keep shooting them at me please and thanks again.

Spacebound

Sorry, I should have specified that I meant linking to the milestone only tasks that otherwise have no predecessors. Surely most of your tasks are linked to predecessors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back