Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Reinstall IE6 or Outlook Express 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

keress2

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
Outlook Express stopped working this week. It wouldn't recognize my login. I uninstalled both it and IE 6 and tried downloading the installation while in Netscape.

I downloaded the setup file, it told me to restart my computer to complete the installation, which I did, then nothing happened. When I try to manually run the setup I get a message that a task is pending for the installation and I need to restart. I saw some info on the IE site about third party downloaders causing problems. I took any trace of Netscape out of my TSR's. No help.

Anybody out there have any clue to what's going on?

WE would need to lnow what operating system you have , and the type of PC you are using .This is needed to asertain the problem Hope This Helps Solve Your Problem
nightowl17

Thought I replied to this earlier, but I guess it didn't take.

I'm on a 500 mHz Pentium III system, using Windows 98 SE.

Go into your control panal to internet options and clear out the cookies and temp internet files [front page ] you may have a corrupt file in one or the other. Also how did you delete the Outlook & IE did you do it through the add -remove program or something else? Hope This Helps Solve Your Problem
nightowl17

Rename the wininit.ini file and then restart your PC. You should be able to run the setup again. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Renaming the wininit.ini file seemed to do the trick. I am able to get into the installation program now, am just waiting for two free hours to download it. I'll let you know if I have any more trouble, otherwise, thanks for both your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back