Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Reference 'some' sites 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gawdknows

Technical User
Mar 4, 2003
IN
All

I seem to be in a problem ....and I'm not getting anywhere
I have win98 and recently I've noticed I can't seem to reference some sites at all.
For eg. If I go to "then I get the following:-

********snip************

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

etc etc etc etc etc ----

********end snip*******

However I can log into other 'not secure'[ not sure if that's the way to call them] sites for eg. "BBC.com", "CNN.com" , " "altavista.com"....etc. etc. without any issues,no problems at all.... and I am sure all of you reading this mail can also log in to the above mentioned site " site and see the first welcome page without any issues.But I can't on this laptop.and I'm sure I can access the " page [ and so can all of you ] from my other Win ME PC upstairs and through my Work PC @ my work etc

Another prime example is for example , go to the site " a Dutch Medical insurance site....and all goes fine for me and I see the 'all Green' home page..
Once here, just click the menu header called-->"site" [2nd last from Right hand side-Top]...and the 'Sitemap' page opens up...so far so good , even for me..
Now I scroll down to "Persoonlijke gegevens" [means personal information] and the moment I click here I get :--

**************snip********
Action canceled
Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

etc etc etc etc...

**************end snip****
and I'm sure I can access this next page [ and so can all of you ] from my other Win ME PC upstairs and through my Work PC at work etc...Basically the last action takes you to the "Inlog" screen where the site asks you for your password/username...and I'm sure all of you out there were able to see the next "Inloggen" page,....but not me..it's this Laptop where I can't seem to go any further when it comes to certain 'secure' [username/password] sites...

This leads me to the fact that some funny security settings are making this happen...[ I may be wrong.].
But can someone out there tell me why these selected pages are not working on my win98 anymore?

TIA
**Tek-Tips works just fine on this Laptop and I'm sending this request from the offending Laptop-win98....Queer

Oh..BTW , My browser is IE 6 ,
sorry for not mentioning that

Hi gawdknows

Both sites work for me

The first is a secure site - can you get into other secure sites ?

Not sure if this will help in this case, but if may show something,

Please Download hijackthis from

Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

After the scan has finished the "scan" button will turn into a "save log" button

save the log file and paste it here

Do not delete anything yet, as most things hijackthis finds are harmless and needed.

steam

Hi

I went throught the mail helps sequentially.
I went for bcastner's 3rd link, dnloaded the SPI, installed, rebooted and retried, but no luck.
The 1st 2 , as gathered from the Microsoft site, was not specific to my issue.

and here's the Hijackthis Logfile

**********snip*************
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.3
Scan saved at 2:51:32 PM, on 10/19/03
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\THOTKEY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TCDPLAY.DRV
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TWBROWSE.DRV
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IRMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TFUNCKEY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSSOUND.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSMFCARD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PWRTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TOSHIBSU.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\IOMEGA\DRIVEICONS\IMGICON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANICWARE\POP-UP STOPPER FREE EDITION\PSFREE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NIKON\NKVIEW4\NKVWMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NIKON\FOTOSTATION EASY AUTOLAUNCH.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ATMEL\802.11 WIRELESS LAN\WLANMONITOR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = O3 - Toolbar: &_________ - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IrMon] IrMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [S3TRAY] S3tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFunckey] TFunckey.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PsSound] PsSound.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PsMFCard] PsMFCard.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PowerTray] PwrTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TOSHIBSU] TOSHIBSU.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Startup Options] C:\Program Files\Iomega\Common\ImgStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [THotkey] THotkey.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TCDPlay] TCDPlay.Drv
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TWBrowse] TWBrowse.Drv
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [od-teen154] c:\program files\Webdialer\od-teen154.exe -m
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANICWARE\POP-UP STOPPER FREE EDITION\PSFREE.EXE"
O4 - Startup: NkVwMon.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView4\NkVwMon.exe
O4 - Startup: FotoStation Easy AutoLaunch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Nikon\FotoStation Easy AutoLaunch.exe
O4 - Startup: Configuration & Monitor Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATMEL\802.11 Wireless LAN\WlanMonitor.exe
O4 - User Startup: NkVwMon.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView4\NkVwMon.exe
O4 - User Startup: FotoStation Easy AutoLaunch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Nikon\FotoStation Easy AutoLaunch.exe
O4 - User Startup: Configuration & Monitor Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATMEL\802.11 Wireless LAN\WlanMonitor.exe
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - O16 - DPF: {0246ECA8-996F-11D1-BE2F-00A0C9037DFE} (TDServer Control) -

*********End snip**********

Thx.

1. In IE, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, that you have enabled all the SSL versions.

2. Go to the Windows Update site and apply the Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer, October 2003

3. Be absolutely certain your Computer Date, Time and Time Zone information is correct.

GREAT again bcastner !!

I enabled the 2 SSL versions which were un-checked.
Before I would apply the cummulative patch, I rebooted and restarted and it works !

Adjectives fail me..

Thank You

gawdknows,

Run HT again and check the following items. Next, close all browser Windows, and have HT fix checked.

You NEED to restart your computer when you're done.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

After restarting delete the following:
c:\program files\Webdialer folder

Close all browser windows - run hijackthis and tick to fix :-

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime

------
There are also many reasons why you may not be able to enter a secure site.....this is what I have....

1. At the top of the page - click help - about internet explorer

is your cipher-strength "128-bit" ?
--------------------------------------------------
2. Start Internet Explorer.
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
On the Advanced tab, scroll down to the Security section, and then select the Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 options.
Click OK.
-------------------------------------------------
3. Have you deleted your temporary internet files since this problem started - if not, do it now
-----
4. Zone Alarm Pro [Private Header Info - enabled?] Reset "Ad Blocking" and "Cookie Control" to "medium" "Mobile Code Control" = Off

5. Symantec (ISS\NIS)[Enable Browser Privacy - enabled] Active Content - "Allow All Script To Execute"

6. Any "ad blocking" software that blocks "http_referer" or contains entries that are blocking access to the desired site.

7. HOSTS file that contains entries that are blocking access to the desired site.

8. Cookie blocking software that are blocking "required" Cookies.

9. Pop-up blockers that are stripping header\url info.

10. WebWasher Standard Filter/URL Filter

11. Make sure the following entry is not corrupt: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings] "User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)"

12. Sometimes a damaged index.dat file can cause this - this procedure will delete the index.dat file which can't be deleted from windows - when you reboot windows creates a new clean one.

Try this for doing a DOS level cleanup of your cache. It's more thorough than Windows.

Click Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS mode.

At the c:\windows\> prompt enter each bold line:

press enter after each line

smartdrv
deltree tempor~1
deltree temp
deltree history
deltree locals~1\tempor~1
exit

(you may get an error message on this last one (locals~1), just skip to "exit" if you do, it just means you don't have that directory)

13. Check the date and time on your computer ...if it's wrong, cookies will not be accepted and you will not be able to log in to some sites.

steam

steamwiz / tb525
our mails may have crossed....as you would know by now bcastner's suggestion came out as the Golden Tip..

and Thx. to you all too

Thx.

steamwiz

I read your mail-string right after my final statement.(the one to both you and tb525)

Great pointers, in fact your point # 2,the key, was ditto to bacstner's suggestion.

With a 13-point ammo, there would hopefully be a no-next-time-issue-with-Browser anymore.

Equally nice to know about tools like 'Hijackthis','Zone Alarm pro' /and the smartdrv options...

Another enlightening trip on this Forum for me.
Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back