Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Reference 'some' sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

gawdknows

Technical User
Mar 4, 2003
IN
All
I have win98 and recently I've noticed I can't seem to reference some sites at all.
For eg.If I go to "then I get the following:-

********snip************

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

etc etc etc etc etc ----

********end snip*******

However I can log into other sites for eg. BBC.com, cnn.com etc etc without any issues. and I am sure all of you reading this mail can also log in to the "" site and see the first welcome page.

Another prime example is the site " goes fine and I see the page..but the moment I log in with with username /Pw I get the same "The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. "[ and I can log in to the page succesfully from my PC at work with no problems...after supplying my username|pwd.]

This leads me to the fact that some funny security settings are making this happen...[ I may be wrong].
But can someone out there tell me why these selected pages are not working on my win98.?

TIA

Do you by any chance have a 'net nanny' type of software installed on the machine?

I had a problem once where I had this type of software blocking perfectly valid sites with exactly the symptoms you describe.

Marc

By the way, I've just tried to get in to those two sites mentioned, and I cannot get into either. I get the same message you are describing, so maybe it's not a security problem, but the sites are indeed not available.

Must be all these friendly helpful people from tek-tips .....

Okay I shall live with the explanations given..
But I thought I would add this , before I sign off.

When I read yesterday, that Server is too busy. I booted my Home PC[win ME] on the 1st floor, and my laptop[win 98] was running downstairs.I tried to log on to " from my Laptop....no joy

I immediately ran up and tried same with my PC,,..cool ...got connected within seconds.

I can keep running up and down ;-) , but to me it's evident, ME has no problems, with 98 I seem to have this issue.

The Net nanny thing may be a hint...I've dnloaded ad-aware 6 and ran it on my Laptop...any other good tools that take care of all these spywares/adwares and junk..

Anyway, Thanks to all who contributed.....
Ohh.. windows...can't do without you...can do without yo ;-)

All

The mystery has been solved....
some GREAT TekTips member 'bcastner' pointed out the following and my issue is resolved.:-

**-->. In IE, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, check that you have enabled all the SSL versions.

and Thx. to all for all their time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back