Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't receive only from one address

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsloris

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2003
US
I'm having a strange problem. We use Exchange 5.5. We can receive and send emails from/to everyone except any address in one particular organization. I have talked to their networking ppl and they keep saying they can send and receive to/from everyone except us and it must be our problem. I have no idea why our email would be working with everyone except this one particular place. Any ideas?

Thankyou in advance.

Hi, Check the openrelay websites for you domain i have had a similar problem with somebody who used dns lookups for spam check openrelay.org

Thanks for your reply!
I checked the sites for both our domain and the other company's domain. I thought they might be on the list, but they weren't. I had the open relay problem about a year ago (we were blacklisted) and I changed the settings and got off the list. We are still off, and so is the other place. I'm at a loss here...

Have you tried looking at different blacklist databases?
We were blacklisted by one particular database but others soon blacklisted us. I had to summit to 4 different retests.

I checked ordb.org and had it check the third party things.

Have you checked the following things on your IMS config:
- Connections, Message Filtering
- Connections, E-mail Domain
- Connections, Specify by Host
- Internet Mail, E-mail domain

Any of these could be used to block e-mail to and from them

Had this problem myself recently.

You might want to check the following:

To cut a long post short. Involve your ISP in this issue - make sure your DNS resolution is from new Name servers. Our DNS server was pointing to older name servers that for some reason did not hold records for a specific domain - all very frustrating. Could not mail a specific domain but all others were fine.

I did exactly the same and spent time looking at Spam sites etc - Wish I had involved our ISP sooner.

hope this helps sort out the problem - if not, sorry.

Good luck.

dodgygeezer: Those were the first things I checked..:)

legs11: I think you might be up the right alley. I've been considering getting the ISP involved, but wanted to make sure all my ducks were in a row first. They are not fun people to deal with (very bad customer service). We have our ISP hosting our website and we host our own email. A few months ago we switched the hosting plan and they moved our site, but they changed the DNS entries for the email as well. I got them to change it back to point to us after a loooong explanation/debate with them. I think that's about the time we started having this problem. The only thing that made me think it might not be the problem is the domain we can't communicate with is using the same ISP. I figured for that reason alone if everyone else could hit us they should be able to.

Anyway, I will give them a call. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back