Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't receive mail from hotmail, yahoo, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0ldeneye

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
US
Hello,

I have two machines that used to have win98 and Outlook 2000 on them. They are now xp pro machines with Outlook 2003 on them. They can send and receive mail within the organization, but cannot receive mail from hotmail, yahoo, or any other email.

He is even able to send mail to Hotmail, yahoo, etc, but when I reply with hotmail, I get an email back almost instantly saying message undeliverable. Anybody have any clues?
thx

Does the undeliverable message say why it was undeliverable? There should be some info there.

Has any mail filtering been establish on your network recently that would prohibit you from receiving from Hotmail? Changing your client's email program shouldn't affect receiving mail unless you have some local rules set up. An undeliverable message would be happening at the server and network level.

No, there are no rules set up. Its a brand new machine and all I did was import the lmhosts file like I normally do any everything usually works. Before I replaced the old computer, everything related to emails were working fine.

I think you're correct bierhunter in that it's probably a server-side problem... unfortunately I have no access to the exchange server because its about 4,000 miles away. I do know our exchange admin is planning a migration to exchange 2k3, but I don't know if he's changed anything yet. I'll have to hand this one over to the exchange admin, as I have tried everything I can.

Thanks balviar and bierhunter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back