Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't receive email

Status
Not open for further replies.

komara69

Technical User
Jul 9, 2003
US
Hello,

I'm host email server at home (exchange server 2003). I know I can't send email due to the fact that I have Cable internet and my IPS, Adelphia, will not give out reverse DNS. But for some reason I can not receive email. How can i configure exchange server to receive email? Also, how can i configure the exchange server to send email via smtp, i.e smtp.adelphia.net?

Komara69

You can send mail more easily the you could receive it. Use your ISP as smart host (see help). As smart host, you configure it the same way as if you would from outlook.
To receive, you either need an MX record (fixed IP or a dynsdns kind of service), or use a POP3 retriever.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Thank for reply as of now I can receive but still unable to send out. Any clues?

Komara69

see above about smart host.
use a ping to te isp realy server from the server.
check DNS!!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back