Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't read own Excel reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooSki

Programmer
Jun 13, 2002
GB
Hi guys

Cognos: v 7
O/S : Windows 2000
Excel: 2000

I'm missing something really obvious here and it's doing my head in!

I used to use Cognos v6 and had a few scheduled daily reports that exported into Excel 97 and they worked a treat. Then after the company decided to get me a new PC with Win 2000 on it and also upgrade me to Cognos v7, I started to have a niggly problem.

I can create the Excel files using the macro below, but I can't actually read them myself using Excel 2000, an error pops up saying "filename.xls can not be accessed. The file may be read only, or you may be trying to access a read only location."

Normally I would worry, but the niggly bit is that the admin guy I have scheduled these reports for can read these files on his NT4, Excel 97 machine.

My question is, can I specify which version of Excel to export to? Or is that the wrong question to ask?

Thanks in advance,
MooSki

MacroCode:

dim objImpApp as object
dim objImpRep as object
dim strRepDate as string
dim strRepname as string

sub Main()

strrepdate=format(date,"ddmmyy")
strrepname="[pathname]\u k\uk_" & strrepdate & "_adm.xls"

set objimpapp = createobject("CognosImpromptu.Application")
objimpapp.opencatalog "[pathname]\bi_prod\impromptu\catalogues\[catname].cat","[username]","[password]"

set objimprep = objimpapp.openreport("[pathname]\u k\rptFulfillment_UK_adm.imr")
objimprep.retrieveall
objimprep.exportexcel(strrepname)
objimprep.closereport
objimpapp.quit

set objimprep = nothing
set objimpapp = nothing

end sub

MooSki,
Might be something to do with permissions you have under Windows 2000; I tried to make my PowerPlay reports read only by removing write permissions under windows settings from everyone other than the group I was in but ended up blocking myself. Check the permissions you have to the folders in the pathname.
As a PS, I was disappointed that even in ver 2 (7.1) or Imp, the excel version is still only 5.0 which won't work on our company's iPaqs without conversion.
lex

I think it must be that, Lex. Thanks for your reply.

Incidentally, I ran the above report from Impromptu and saved as "Excel with Format" instead of just "Excel" and I can get into it. How do you impliment this instead of the code below?

objimprep.exportexcel(strrepname)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

MooSki,
Depends on your version of Impromptu - before 7.1 (a.k.a 7 ver 2), you can only use a nasty kludge involving sendkeys - there's a couple of threads in this forum regarding it. From 7.1, there's a precise command to save with format, but I can't recall it (I had an eval copy, but am staying with 7 for now). Your reseller should be able to provide a copy of it, or you can download it from the cognos site depending on your support status
lex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back