Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't RDP to a Windows XP client .. not possible??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellboy101

Programmer
Aug 31, 2005
US
Hello all-

I have a user who VPN's perfectly into our network and can then issue the mstsc.exe (RDP executable) in order to terminal service to any of our Windows 2003 servers within our domain. I assumed that he could also use mstsc.exe (RDP) in order to terminal service to his corporate pc once he's VPN'd in. After all, it is an Win XP Professional desktop and has Remote Desktop built in... wonder if there's a special configuration in order to rdp to a client windows system? What's weird is that you can RDP (terminal service) to any Windows 2003 server.. is this because the server is running Terminal services manager?? I feel this might be the case.. where an XP client has RDP built in but maybe not have the capability to be able to RDP to it..

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
hb101

The XP machine must be configured to allow remote connections.

Control Panel ---> System ---> Remote TAB

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

I have the same problem and double checked and the remote tab check box is correct. Any other suggestions?

You must also specify who is allowed.
If they are listed on the machine as an administrator they are automaticly allowed.

What's the error he gets? "user not authorized", "could not connect"...that'll point you to where the problem lies.
Check for any firewalls.

The firewalls will definitely cause this if enabled, and I believe the windows firewall is by default. You can allow for exceptions for remote desktop, or turn it off all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back