Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't "reply" w/Outlook over VPN to Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2002
US
I'm running Windows XP Pro and Outlook 2002(XP). I connect to my DSL through internet connection sharing(ICS).

When I connect to our VPN at work, I can connect to our Exchange server, I can receive, and I can send email. If I try to REPLY to an email, I get the message: "Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server", and it hangs until it tells me that it couldn't connect to the Exchange server. After closing this dialogue box, I can still receive and send emails.

When I connect to the VPN using my main computer (running Windows XP Home and Outlook 2002) I don't have this problem.

I'm guessing that the problem lies with the ICS, but I can't find where. Any clues???

I had a similar problem using Internet Explorer as my browser and switched to Netscape and that seemed to work better. Also, when entering in my username, it helped if i started it out with our domain name...ie. domain\userid...

hope that helps.

I have just started having the same problem. Did anyone find a fix for this?

Well, just to add more information to my original post...

I changed my setup at home to have my DSL modem on my main computer, and share the connection with my downstairs computer (instead of the other way around).

I still have the same Outlook problem. Even when I disable my Internet Connection Sharing, I have this problem.

When I share the DSL connection with my laptop (also running Windows XP Pro) and connect to the VPN, I don't have the problem.

This is a very confusing one!

Yes. That was one of the first attempts I made to fix this issue. I read this tip somewhere else, and thought that it may work, but I was wrong!

depending on the type of VPN software you are running. check the MS patch differences between your two systems. one of the patches may be causing the problem. the laptop I had problems with was set to autoupgrade windows patches. it finally upgraded a patch that wasn't compatible with the VPN software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back