Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't "Darg and Drop" in Win 95a

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisJ1980

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
US
One of my friends, who calls me when he needs tech support, has an older P100 with Win 95a on it, Recently, he cannot move any of the icons on the desktop. Autoarrange is NOT checked. Also, in Windows Explorer, he cannot drag any file to another folder or drive. However, he can drag an open window around the desktop. Initially, I tried Scandisk and Defrag, with no results. Then, I tried a reinstall from windows, hoping if there were a corrupt file, that it would be restored. Once again, no drag and drop. I have been told to delete user.dat from DOS, and restart. Haven't got that drastic yet.
According to the owner, no new hardware or software has been added in a couple of months.
Any input from the forum would be greatly appreciated

Chris

dj,
No, Poledit is not running on this machine. I am really hesitant to delete user.dat to possibly repair this problem, however, this is looking like my only alternative

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back