Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't print print to port 3 of HP Print Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

OOsorio

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2007
US
To port 1 and port 2 not a problem. The configuration for port 3 is identical as for the others but it does not print. I'm using SCO Unix 5.0.6

Has anbody been able to solve for this?

If your using the hpnpf then you can send a print job and look in the /tmp for a file named like hpnpf.<number>
This file might give you the reason why it's not printing.
Are you using a HP printer on port 3? Do you get a reply on a telnet to the print server on port 9102?

To print I do LP -dprintername test
Nothing prints
Telnet instructions show that I can only use a range of 3000-9000 for creating a raw port number. Within telnet I typed port:3 and unix changes to port 3. I tried creating a raw port as 3002. Unix comes back telling me that it refers to physical port 2. I then tried creating raw port 3001 and Unix came back telling me that it refers to physical port 2.

The printer is a Oki dot matrix.

I looked at the /tmp folder and there is only one file titled hpnpcfg.log. No other hpn.... file.

I've modified the printcap file for the 3 printers to distinguish between raw1, raw2 and raw3 as follows:
ssprinter|raw1:\
:lp=/dev/null:ex:sd= <the rest of the instruction>
printeronport2|raw2:\
<the rest of the instruction>
printeronport3|raw3:\
<the rest of the instruction>

The hosts file also has the 3 printers defined for the specific IP address:
printerone 192.168.2.30
printertwo 192.168.2.30
printerthree 192.168.2.30

Printer one and two work fine????

Some OKI's require a change in the Parallel Port configuration for the JetDirect. I'd first move the OKI from Port 3 to Port 1(or 2) to see if the problem follows the printer, or is back on the SCO configuration. Also, you shouldn't have the ":ex" parameter set in /etc/printcap. Please provide "the rest of the instruction" from your printcap lines. What you provided doesn't show all the required settings.

Given a choice, I'd opt for using HPNP instead of LPR/LPD. You have to do some manual tweaks in the interface file to send to ports 2 and 3, though.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

I agree with motoslide. The hpnp is a better option, allthough you probably already used it, seen the fact there's a hpnpcfg.log in the /tmp
Default for hpnp and most printer servers is port 9100 but you can change it in the interface file with the option
-p3100 (port1) -p3101 (port2) and -p3102 (port3)
Another thing is that the hpnp is only for HP-printers and for an OKI you might have to change the /etc/getone. You can look in the thread involving connecting brother on this same forum.
For more help this link might come in handy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back