Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't print in IE 6, Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWords

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2001
GB
Hi,

A user has the following problem. When they print from Internet Explorer 6 a blank page appears. When they print preview the webpage a blank page appears.

I have tried the following solutions:

• Unchecking "Enable third party
browser extensions" in Internet Options/Advanced

• Going to this reg key and either deleting it or enabling "yes": [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main] - This key wasn't there on the user's computer.

• To work around this behavior, disable the Auto-Select option for encoding. To do so, on the View menu, point to Encoding, and then click to clear Auto-Select.

• Start Internet Explorer. Point to Encoding on the View menu. Click to select Unicode encoding language.

• On the Environment tab, note the path for the TEMP variable in the User Variables for Name box. The default is SystemDrive:\Temp.

None of these solutions has worked. Does anyone have any more ideas?

Many thanks.

by Lastwords,

Maentwrog (n.Welsh): Celtic word for a computer spelling mistake.

See if the user has enabled any user specific style sheets (CSS) that might over-ride the styles used on the web site.

Does this happen on all websites or just some (one?) specific ones?

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Yes it happens on all websites. Print friendly pages, with or without CSS controlling the page, etc.

by Lastwords,

Anyone got a fix for this as we are experiencing the same problem

Do any of these help?

Why does print or preview generate a blank first page?

Why do I get a blank page when printing from Internet Explorer 5.5?

Why do I get an additional blank page when printing from Internet Explorer 5.5?

They were the first things that showed up with a quick Google search for:

"internet explorer" print blank page

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

I have another suggestion to add to those from Dan...

Has the user recently installed the Acrobat Reader plugin? It could be worth checking that they have the latest version - since I believe there were some previous problems with dll versions and the like.

Worth a check.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Thanks for all your responses. I have tried all the above suggestions and none have worked. The only one I havent tried is the Adobe Reader solution; i will give this a go. I know it's been a problem for a few months now, so I don't know if it's related to a Adobe Reader plugin.

by Lastwords,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back