Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't play graphics oriented games

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreep

Programmer
Apr 8, 2000
US
Visit site
I just installed a new motherboard with a new cpu and video card. I now cant play games that I was able to play before on my old motherboard and with no video card. I checked devman and found no conflicts. If you need more info then let me know.

Whats the details of the old motherboard and CPU, and what is your new? <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

It was an old 486 20 meg ram 66htz socket 3. The new is Intel Chipset 166 mhz 32 megs SDRAM socket 7 and the video card I believe is a Matrox S3. And when I said graphics oriented I meant graphics intense like diablo, warcraft....<br>I'm going to double check on the vid card and get back if it's wrong or lacking. But right now I'm at work.

The only Matrox I have encountered that does 3D even fairly well is the G400 series. The Matrox Mystique (S3 chipset perhaps) is lackluster at best. The other problem with them is compatibility with current games. Get a new card with a more updated and compliant chipset. I like the Voodoos (sorry Karl) but the GeForce cards are also very good if not better (OK Karl?). <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

What the error is exactly is that it won't let the game set the resolution to 800 * 600 * 8. It works with graphics oriented games that don't have to be in that resolution. Which I have found that many do use that res. I hope that's a little more help on determining the problem at hand.

depending on the ammount of memory on the Matrox card, I might sugest you upgrade to least a 20$ generic card now days, which is always a better solution for most of the very old hardware, and I've been a big fan on Nvidia since the TNT2 Utlra came out (sorry AT Cal, but 3dfx marketing strategy, numerous delays, and failed promises lead me astray, I still have a Voodoo1 6 Meg tho :} ) does your computer have PCI slots? I doubt it would have any AGP slot so grabing an old 3dfx card might be an option (might want to grab a V2 12Meg card off pricewatch.com and check with resllerratings.com for ratings on the reseller) I know V3 has a PCI version, but it may be too much for your 486, which is why I would recomend a V2 12Meg, I belive it acts as both a 2d/3d card unlike my V1, and it was in my opinion the last of the decent 3dfx hardware. you should find it within affordable ranges and more suitible for your machine, anything higher may require an AGP or a higher PCI interface version. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Karl said a mouthfull, and anybody who follows my threads knows I respect him but I use a Millenium II, and I had probs initially, for example, even tho the drivers are on win982e, setup couldn't find them, so I ventured to the matrox website and downloaded the files.&nbsp;&nbsp;When you go there, take the time to look at your video card, on the back or bottom surface of the card is a white sticker, maybe two, but the first thing on the sticker, which should be approximately 1&quot; square, is the model code for the card. use that number and the search feature at their site to check if there are any patches, and to make sure that the drivers you are using are the correct ones. Again, until I went to their site and did this, I was not aware of a difference in the file info that win982e would have installed with the setup, and since I downloaded the drivers from the matrox site, I have had no probs.&nbsp;&nbsp;My profile doesn't mention it, but, as I'm sure several of us are, I geek toward a few games now and then also.&nbsp;&nbsp;On a post script, you might consider loading all your games on a second drive or at least second partition, to prevent interference with certain files windows uses, and yes, my games run better from my second hard drive than they did when I had everything on one HD.&nbsp;&nbsp;Karl, you finally missed something!&nbsp;&nbsp;You made reference to his 486 MB, but that was the OLD MB!&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back